Applying force vs applying weight to an atwood machine

In summary, the first problem involves calculating the angular acceleration of a solid cylinder being pulled downward by a force equal to the weight of a hanging mass, while the second problem involves finding the angular acceleration when the actual mass is hung from the string instead of the force. The main difference between the two problems is that in the second one, the tension in the string must be solved for, while in the first one it is given.
waycoo
I have two problems which appear equivalent, but apparently they are not.

The first one is this:
M, a solid cylinder (M=1.75 kg, R=0.131 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.750 kg mass, i.e., F = 7.357 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

The second one is this:
If instead of the force F an actual mass m = 0.750 kg is hung from the string, find the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

I know how to solve for the second one, but I don't know how to solve for the first because I see no difference between the two problems.

Could anyone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first case the torque of the applied force accelerates rotation of the cylinder.
In the second case, the gravitational force acting on the hanging mass accelerates both this mass and the rotation of the cylinder. Strictly speaking, you have the force of gravity and the tension of the cord acting on the mass, and the torque of the tension acting on the cylinder.

ehild

waycoo said:
I have two problems which appear equivalent, but apparently they are not.
They appear equivalent, but they are not. You probably think that the tension in the string is the same in both cases, but not so. Think about it: If in the second one the tension equaled the weight of the hanging mass, the mass would be in equilibrium and wouldn't accelerate. In the second problem you must solve for the tension; in the first, it's given.

What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical system used to demonstrate the principles of physics, particularly those related to force, weight, and motion. It consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley.

What is the difference between applying force and applying weight to an Atwood machine?

Applying force involves exerting a push or pull on an object, while applying weight involves adding mass to an object. In an Atwood machine, applying force would involve pulling one of the masses down, while applying weight would involve adding additional mass to one of the masses.

How does applying force affect the motion of an Atwood machine?

Applying force to an Atwood machine will cause the masses to accelerate in the direction of the force. The acceleration will depend on the magnitude of the force, as well as the masses and the friction present in the system.

How does applying weight affect the motion of an Atwood machine?

Applying weight to one of the masses in an Atwood machine will cause the system to become unbalanced, as the mass of one side will be greater than the other. This will result in the heavier side accelerating faster, causing the system to move in the direction of the heavier mass.

How do I calculate the acceleration of an Atwood machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood machine can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). The net force can be determined by subtracting the weight of one mass from the weight of the other.