Math Grad schools with no application fee

In summary, the conversation discusses the application fees for graduate programs in mathematics and the fact that Carnegie Mellon University does not have an application fee. The speaker also suggests reaching out to department heads for possible fee waivers. They also mention the rankings of different pure math departments and the varying application fees for other universities.
stubbypeeps33
I'm currently applying to grad school for a masters in pure math, and saw that carnegie mellon has no application fee. Can you guys think of any other decent math grad programs that have no application fees?

Physics news on Phys.org
that really shouldn't determine where you apply. application fees are really really negligible compared to ... the rest of you life.

if you find it hard to afford application fees you can e-mail graduate program heads, or even department heads and tell them about it.

If there's an application fee, there's usually a waiver procedure in good schools. I'd expect they would be even more sympathetic if you are a good applicant.

good luck

stubbypeeps33 said:
I'm currently applying to grad school for a masters in pure math, and saw that carnegie mellon has no application fee. Can you guys think of any other decent math grad programs that have no application fees?

Why, do you think there's something dodgy about there being no application fee? According to this:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ools/top-mathematics-programs/rankings/page+2
Carnegie Mellon is ranked joint 33rd of pure math departments, with a score of 3.6/5.
And yes, according to their web page there is no application fee:
http://www.math.cmu.edu/graduate/admissions.html

I did a bit of searching around. For universitities of a similar ranking to Carnegie Mellon here are the application fees:
Ohio State: $5
Univ. of Utah: $55
CUNY: $125
University of California--Davis: $70
Rice University: $70
Pennsylvania State University--University Park: $45
Indiana University--Bloomington: $50

OK, so in my limited search I could not find another university with no application fee. However the other universities have fees ranging from $5 to $125, quite a wide distribution for only 7 universities don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a math grad school with no application fee?

A math grad school with no application fee allows students to apply without having to pay any upfront costs. This can make the application process more accessible and less financially burdensome for students.

2. How can I find a math grad school with no application fee?

You can search for math grad schools with no application fee online or through university websites. You can also reach out to admissions offices directly to inquire about any fee waivers or special programs.

3. Are math grad schools with no application fee less selective?

No, the absence of an application fee does not necessarily indicate lower selectivity. Many top universities and programs offer fee waivers to attract a diverse pool of applicants and to make the application process more equitable.

4. What are the benefits of applying to a math grad school with no application fee?

Aside from the obvious cost savings, applying to a math grad school with no application fee can also allow you to apply to more schools without breaking the bank. This can increase your chances of being accepted and give you more options to choose from.

5. Are there any disadvantages to applying to a math grad school with no application fee?

The only potential disadvantage may be that some schools may not cover the cost of sending official transcripts or other required documents, which may still need to be paid for by the applicant. However, this can vary depending on the individual university and program policies.