Measuring the distance to Mars with parallax.

In summary, the distance between Earth and Mars at opposition is approximately 0.524 AU, and the clocks used by the two observers need to be synchronized within 8.16 minutes to measure this distance within 10% accuracy.
E92M3

Homework Statement

a) Two observers are separated by a baseline equal to Earth's diameter. If the differences in their measurements of Mars' position at opposition (i think this means when it is closest to earth) is 33.6" (arcsec). What is the distance between Earth and Mars at opposition?

b)If the distance to Mars is to be measured within 10%, how closely must the clocks used by the two observers be synchronized? (Ignore the rotation of the earth. THe orbital velocities of Earth and Mars are 29.79 km/s and 24.13km/s respectively.)

Homework Equations

[tex]tan\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{R_{Earth}}{d}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I think I know this part, pls check.
[tex]tan\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{R_{Earth}}{d}[/tex]
since theta is small:
[tex]\frac{\theta}{2}\approx\frac{R_{Earth}}{d}[/tex]
[tex]d=\frac{2 R_{Earth}}{\theta}[/tex]
Converting theta back into radians I get 7.82x10^10 m.

b) This I'm having trouble with. Well I want 10% error; this means that my error should be 7.82x10^9 m. Observers on Earth will see that Mars is moving at 5.66 km/s (the difference in the orbital velocity between Earth and Mars). And this is how far I got.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I would like to clarify a few things before answering your questions.

Firstly, "opposition" in astronomy refers to the position of a planet when it is on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun. This is when the planet is at its closest point to Earth in its orbit. So the distance between Earth and Mars at opposition is actually the minimum distance between the two planets, not the maximum.

Secondly, when measuring distances in astronomy, we usually use astronomical units (AU) instead of meters. One AU is equal to the average distance between the Earth and the Sun, which is about 149.6 million kilometers. So, in your first question, the distance between Earth and Mars at opposition would be approximately 0.524 AU (7.82x10^10 m converted to AU).

Now, to answer your second question, we need to use the concept of parallax. Parallax is the apparent shift in position of an object when viewed from different perspectives. In this case, the two observers on Earth are viewing Mars from different perspectives due to the Earth's rotation. This causes a difference in the measured position of Mars.

To calculate the parallax, we can use the following formula:

Parallax = angular separation between the two observers x distance to the object

In this case, the angular separation is given as 33.6" (arcsec), and the distance to Mars is 0.524 AU. So, the parallax would be 0.00462 AU.

Now, we know that the difference in the orbital velocities of Earth and Mars is 5.66 km/s. This means that the time difference between the two observers' measurements would be:

Time difference = Parallax / Orbital velocity difference

= 0.00462 AU / 5.66 km/s

= 8.16 minutes

So, the clocks used by the two observers need to be synchronized within 8.16 minutes in order to measure the distance to Mars within 10% accuracy.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How is parallax used to measure the distance to Mars?

Parallax is a method used to measure the distance to objects that are far away. It involves observing the same object from different positions and then using the difference in the angles to calculate the distance. In the case of measuring the distance to Mars, astronomers use the Earth's orbit around the sun to observe Mars from two different positions, which allows them to calculate the distance using parallax.

2. What instruments are used to measure parallax?

Astronomers use telescopes and other optical instruments to measure parallax. These instruments allow them to accurately observe the position of Mars from different points on Earth's orbit, which is necessary for calculating the parallax angle.

3. How accurate is the parallax method in measuring the distance to Mars?

The parallax method is considered to be one of the most accurate ways of measuring the distance to Mars. With modern technology and advanced instruments, astronomers can measure the parallax angle to within a few milliarcseconds, which translates to a distance accuracy of about 0.1%.

4. What are the limitations of using parallax to measure the distance to Mars?

One limitation of using parallax is that it can only be used for objects that are relatively close to Earth. As the distance to the object increases, the parallax angle becomes smaller and more difficult to measure accurately. Therefore, parallax can only be used to measure the distance to Mars when it is at its closest approach to Earth.

5. How does measuring the distance to Mars with parallax benefit scientific research?

Measuring the distance to Mars with parallax allows scientists to accurately determine the size, shape, and movement of the planet. It also helps in understanding the dynamics of the solar system and can aid in planning future space missions to Mars. Additionally, the data obtained from parallax measurements can be used to further study the properties and evolution of Mars.