Could Electromagnetic Propulsion Revolutionize Space Travel?

In summary, the electromagnetic propulsion effect is not some new anti-gravity technology, but is an electrostatic effect that has been demonstrated in labs. There is potential for it to be further explored, but it is still an unexplained effect.
K.J.Healey
Im just wondering what you guys think of electromagnetic propulsion via asymmetric capacitors and high-voltage. If you've heard of it, what are your ideas on it? Do you believe it is ion propulsion or something else?
There are also the additional components of the Lorentz force when derived using larger dimensional algebras, like quaternions or octonions. I'm just wondering what you guys/girls think, and if you have discussed this here before.

For those who know nothing about it, ill post some links.

http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/lifteriw.htm
http://jlnlabs.imars.com/lifters/arl_fac/0211001.pdf

or just search Google for asymmetric capacitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this thread is bordering on crackpottery.

- Warren

chroot said:
I think this thread is bordering on crackpottery.

- Warren

what makes you say that..? :smile:

Its an actual thing that happens. It has been recreated in labs where I work, and at my school. NASA believes it is just ion wind that generates the impulse, though there has been experiments in near vacuum that have a force greater than expected by ion wind.

The force seems to have to do with the much more dense gradient field around the smaller capacitor plate/point. We have proportionality equations for force versus potential and force versus current, but I am not sure if I can say, so I cant. But I do know that so far there is minimal dependency on the dielectric. And from other sites it appears the density of the materials used, and the mass relationship both affect the force (positive proportionality).

Also, I do not work on the project here at the labs, but it has been discussed briefly.

I'm not arguing that lifters work. They just definitely aren't the gateway to zero-point energy, or antigravity generators, or anything else that they are often claimed to be. There's a definite internet subculture that thinks that lifters are some kind of vast new physical landscape. When anyone mentions "lifter," I am piqued, because inane crackpottery almost always immediately follows.

- Warren

Ahh, i understand where you're coming from then. I'm a firm objector of people claiming it is anti-gravity or perpetual motion nonsense.

But the fact remains that it is still an effect that is unexplained. Regardless of all the internet hype the effect should still be an interest to physicists (assuming its not ion wind). I mean, isn't this what us physicists attempt to do? Explain the unexplained?

I also do not believe its some crazy effect that is breaking all the rules of thermodynamics and electromagnetics. But it also alludes to the possibility of maxwell's equations being incomplete. Feynman's derivation of maxwell's equations using quaternions and a generalized n-dimensional vector product leads to multiple new factors in the Lorentz force law. Ill try to dig up Feynman's paper, I know I have it somewhere.

http://www.ensmp.fr/aflb/AFLB-272/aflb272p241.pdf

I would just like to reiterate that I also dislike the hype and take everything I read on the internet with a grain of salt. I assume this site/forum is a constant source of topics such as : "Experiment in italy transmits data faster than speed of light! Can we now travel back in time??!"

I hate to discourage active imaginations; imagination is the source of creativity, a necessity in the physics field.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, it's just an electrostatic effect. Most of the experiments which claim to demonstrate unknown physics are really just so poorly designed that there's no way a physicist could draw any conclusions from them.

And yes, we have to deal with the constant barrage of crackpots here, but we do our very best to eliminate bad posts quickly.

- Warren

1. What is electromagnetic propulsion?

Electromagnetic propulsion is a method of propulsion that uses electromagnetic forces to accelerate an object, such as a spacecraft or a vehicle. It involves creating and controlling electromagnetic fields to generate thrust and propel the object forward.

2. How does electromagnetic propulsion work?

Electromagnetic propulsion works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction, which states that a moving magnetic field can induce a current in a conductor. In this case, the conductor is the object being propelled, and the magnetic field is generated by a series of coils or magnets. This current creates a repulsive force between the object and the magnetic field, propelling the object forward.

3. What are the advantages of using electromagnetic propulsion?

One of the main advantages of electromagnetic propulsion is its high efficiency. It does not require any fuel to generate thrust, unlike traditional propulsion methods such as chemical rockets. This makes it a more sustainable and cost-effective option for long-distance space travel. Additionally, electromagnetic propulsion can also achieve higher speeds and is less prone to mechanical failures.

4. What are the potential applications of electromagnetic propulsion?

Electromagnetic propulsion has a wide range of potential applications, including space travel, satellite propulsion, and even transportation on Earth. It could be used to launch satellites into orbit, propel spacecraft to other planets, and power high-speed trains and vehicles. It could also be used for deep space exploration, as it allows for continuous acceleration and higher speeds.

5. What are some challenges associated with electromagnetic propulsion?

One of the main challenges of electromagnetic propulsion is the amount of energy required to generate a significant amount of thrust. This energy demand could be a limiting factor for long-distance space travel. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and requires further research and development to become a viable option for practical use. This includes finding ways to reduce the weight and size of the propulsion systems and improving their efficiency.