What colour absorbs radiant heat more?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Dav333
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colour Heat
In summary, the color of an object in the visible spectrum does not necessarily correlate with its color in the infrared spectrum. This means that the color of a fabric has little effect on its thermal properties when exposed to radiant heat. While it is commonly believed that light colors reflect heat and dark colors absorb heat, this is not always the case. Factors such as emissivity and absorptivity play a larger role in determining the thermal properties of an object.
Dav333
Hi.

In regards with a black vs yellow t-shirt, which absorbs radiant heat from a indoor gas heater more? Or is the difference too small to tell? Sorry I don't own a yellow tshirt.

thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
The color of something is the visible waveband does not correlate well with it's 'color' in the infrared. Snow, for example, is black in the IR.

It can be a little tricky to figure out- the incident power from the sun peaks in the green/yellow (555 nm), but the peak wavelength corresponding to (say) 90 deg. F (32 C) is around 9.5 microns. So a black shirt will absorb sunlight very well, but may also radiate the heat very well.

For a gas heater, most of the radiant energy is around (IIRC) 3-5 microns. Again, the color in the visible has little to do with the optical properties in this waveband.

As it happens, cotton cloth has an IR emissivity (8-12 microns) of about 0.8

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/techinfo.asp?htmlfile=Emissivity.htm&ID=254

Close to the absorptivity in the visible. I couldn't find values for the mid-wave IR.

What that means, in practice, is that the color of the fabric has very little effect on the thermal properties.

Andy Resnick said:
The color of something is the visible waveband does not correlate well with it's 'color' in the infrared. Snow, for example, is black in the IR.

It can be a little tricky to figure out- the incident power from the sun peaks in the green/yellow (555 nm), but the peak wavelength corresponding to (say) 90 deg. F (32 C) is around 9.5 microns. So a black shirt will absorb sunlight very well, but may also radiate the heat very well.

For a gas heater, most of the radiant energy is around (IIRC) 3-5 microns. Again, the color in the visible has little to do with the optical properties in this waveband.

As it happens, cotton cloth has an IR emissivity (8-12 microns) of about 0.8

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/techinfo.asp?htmlfile=Emissivity.htm&ID=254

Close to the absorptivity in the visible. I couldn't find values for the mid-wave IR.

What that means, in practice, is that the color of the fabric has very little effect on the thermal properties.

Awesome, very informative, thanks.

I always kind of assumed it was true that light colors reflected heat and dark colors absorbed heat, but I didn't really think about it. I have a white car that gets pretty hot sitting in the sun. Does it get just as hot as a black car? My dad has a dark red van and measured the heat on the paint to be pretty hot. He painted it white and measured it to be cooler than it was when it was dark red. I didn't see it and can't verify if it was conclusive. I'm just taking his word for it.

1. What is the best color for absorbing radiant heat?

The best color for absorbing radiant heat is black. This is because black absorbs all wavelengths of light and converts them into heat energy.

2. Does the color of an object affect its ability to absorb radiant heat?

Yes, the color of an object does affect its ability to absorb radiant heat. Darker colors, such as black, absorb more heat compared to lighter colors, such as white.

3. Why does black absorb more radiant heat than white?

Black absorbs more radiant heat because it is able to absorb all wavelengths of light, while white reflects most wavelengths of light. This means that black is able to convert more light into heat energy compared to white.

4. Are there other factors besides color that affect the absorption of radiant heat?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the absorption of radiant heat. For example, the texture of the object's surface, the material it is made of, and the angle at which it is exposed to the heat source can all impact its ability to absorb heat.

5. Does the color of an object affect how much heat it emits?

Yes, the color of an object can also impact how much heat it emits. Darker colors emit more heat compared to lighter colors because they absorb more heat energy. This is why black objects, such as asphalt, can feel hotter to the touch on a sunny day compared to white objects, such as snow.