Phone service does not work properly (phone and interet through telephone wire)

• Thread starter joshmdmd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire Work
In summary, the individual experienced issues with their phone and internet not working, and found that the wires in the box were rusted. After reconnecting them, the phone and internet worked simultaneously. However, the next morning, both services were out again. The individual discovered that the phone would only work once after resetting the connection, and the internet would work as long as the phone was not in use. The individual was advised to check for a DSL splitter to isolate the phone and internet lines.
joshmdmd
My phone and internet stopped working during two days ago.. to troubleshoot i found that the wires in the box were rusted so i restripped and reconnected them..

After this I got a steady dial tone and the internet was working properly (simultaneously)..

The next morning both the phone and internet were out again. I checked the connection again and got a dial tone and the phone was working with the internet until i hung up the phone. When i hung up the phone and picked it back up I could not get a dial tone but got a busy tone instead.. when i called the phone with a cell it was also busy.

The internet is working fine as long as the phone is not off the hook. (still no dial tone) however when i "reset" the connection, the phone is only good for one use (busy after the internet modem finishes resetting. If the phone is in use as soon as the connection is reset, both internet and phone work simultaneously until the phone is hung up.

Other details
Phone and Internet come through a phone wire..
The internet is DSL and not dial-up.
Cannot receive incoming calls.
Phone company will not fix this as it is past their incoming, and is a problem with the house.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It may very well be a logic issue with the phone company. Comcast provides my box, which separates the phone+internet signal coming into the house via RJ-11 wiring, and sends it to my phone and wireless router, respectively.

By "box" did you mean this setup, the large green/gray "box" of telco wires on the streetcorner? The small, usually beige box attached to the outside of your house? Or an internal box like the one I described above?

If it's like mine, try:

1. Resetting the box. Usually this will check for and download a new firmware.

2. Connect a computer and phone directly to the box and repeat the experiment.

3. Manually download and update the firmware.

If it's like the other two, try a friend's computer or a friend's phone, or both. If the problem still isn't resolved, it's the phone company's problem and they need to get it in gear and get on out there.

You should have a DSL splitter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter) to isolate the internet and phone lines.
In my experience you have to try a couple of units to get one that works - you can even end up with one that works on line but not an other.

Yep. NS is correct. You want filters on your lines.

Based on the information provided, it seems like there may be an issue with the phone line itself or the wiring in the house. It is possible that the rusted wires in the box were not the only issue and there may be other damaged or faulty connections inside the house. I would suggest contacting a professional technician or your phone company to inspect and repair any potential issues with the wiring in your house. It is also possible that there could be a problem with the DSL modem, so it may be worth checking with your internet service provider to see if there are any known issues with the model you have. Additionally, make sure that all connections are secure and there are no loose wires or connections. If the problem persists, it may be helpful to provide the phone company with the details of your troubleshooting steps and any other relevant information to see if they can offer any further assistance.

1. Why is my phone service not working?

There could be multiple reasons why your phone service is not working properly. It could be due to a technical issue with your phone line, a problem with your phone equipment, or an issue with your service provider. It is best to contact your service provider for assistance in troubleshooting the problem.

2. How can I fix my phone service that is not working properly?

First, make sure that all your phone equipment is properly connected and turned on. If the issue persists, try resetting your equipment or checking if there are any outages reported in your area. If the problem still persists, contact your service provider for further assistance.

3. Why is my internet not working through my telephone wire?

If you are using a DSL connection, there could be an issue with the phone line or the modem. Check if all the cables are properly connected and if the modem is turned on. If the problem still persists, contact your service provider for assistance.

4. How can I troubleshoot my internet connection through telephone wire?

First, check if there are any reported outages in your area. If there are no outages, try restarting your modem and checking all the cables and connections. You can also try using a different phone line or testing your modem with a different device. If the issue persists, contact your service provider for further assistance.

5. What can I do if my phone service and internet are not working at all?

If both your phone service and internet are not working at all, it could be a problem with your service provider. Check if there are any outages reported in your area and if not, contact your service provider for assistance. They will be able to troubleshoot the issue and provide a solution.