Rotation and Angular Momentum: Solving for thrust of a rocket

In summary: Newton's second law states that thrust is equal to the product of mass and acceleration. In this case, the mass is the mass of the rocket(s) and the acceleration is the change in angular velocity from 0 to 1000rpm. So, the thrust for each rocket is: 0.25kg*1000rpm = 250g
engineer08
1. A solid bar of length L = 0.5m and with W = 0.1m weighs 2kg. It also has two constant-thrust rockets attached on either end. Each rocket is small enough to be considered a point mass of 0.25kg. If the bar is initially at rest and in two seconds after the rockets are fired it achieves a rotation rate of 1000rpm, determine the thrust of each rocket.

Homework Equations

torque = I * angular acceleration
I = (1/12)*(L^2+W^2)*M

3. I found I, angular momentum, to be 0.0542. I am not sure what to do from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I is moment of inertia, not angular momentum.

What equation do you know that relates torque and angular momentum (which is usually written L)?

Correct my apology, I is moment of inertia. An equation I know that relates torque with angular momentum 'L' is:

torque = dL/dt = d(Iw)/dt

The acceleration changed from 0 to 1000rpm in 2 seconds. and L=Iw, which is the angular velocity times the moment of inertia. I'm confused as to what to do

It's not acceleration that changed from 0 to 1000rpm in 2 seconds :wink:

Think about this: what else can you calculate from that 1000rpm figure?

So, angular velocity changes from 0 to 1000rpm in 2 seconds, and we know I. I can therefore solve for angular momentum, right? Couldn't you also integrate the sum of the moments exerted by each rocket from time t to 0? I still am not sure how to translate all of this to the thrust of each rocket.

engineer08 said:
So, angular velocity changes from 0 to 1000rpm in 2 seconds, and we know I. I can therefore solve for angular momentum, right?
Right, try that.

By the way, you do know what kind of physical quantity thrust is, right?

thrust must be in Newtowns (N), presumably? I was pretty certain of that.

Yep, just checking.

1. How does rotation affect the thrust of a rocket?

Rotation plays a crucial role in determining the direction and magnitude of the thrust of a rocket. The rotational motion of the rocket causes a change in its angular momentum, which in turn affects the direction and magnitude of the thrust produced.

2. What is the equation for calculating the thrust of a rocket?

The equation for calculating the thrust of a rocket is F = m * v, where F is the thrust, m is the mass of the exhaust gas expelled per unit time, and v is the velocity of the exhaust gas relative to the rocket.

3. How does the shape of a rocket affect its rotation and thrust?

The shape of a rocket can greatly affect its rotation and thrust. A longer and narrower rocket will experience less air resistance and therefore, have a more efficient rotational motion. Additionally, the shape of the rocket can also affect the direction of the thrust, as well as the amount of thrust produced.

4. Can the rotation of a rocket be controlled?

Yes, the rotation of a rocket can be controlled through various methods such as using fins, gyroscopes, and thrusters. These mechanisms help to stabilize the rocket and control its rotational motion, thereby improving its overall performance.

5. How does the law of conservation of angular momentum apply to rockets?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that in the absence of external forces, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant. This principle applies to rockets as well, where the total angular momentum of the rocket and its exhaust gases must remain constant throughout its flight, allowing for a stable and efficient rotation and thrust.