Determining keto/enol ratio with IR

• Thread starter Horseb0x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Ratio
In summary, using IR for quantitative analysis of the keto tautomer to enol form ratio of a compound is difficult due to the strong preference for the keto form and the finicky nature of the technique. It is possible to design an experiment using Beer's Law and a calibration curve, but this would require careful measurement of remote peaks and may be affected by background noise. Therefore, determining the ratio with IR may not be feasible.
Horseb0x
How can you determine the ratio of the keto tautomer of a compound to its enol form? I know which functional groups are associated with which but I have no idea how you'd use an IR spectrum for quantitative analysis like this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well... the enol form has that OH group and the Keto form has that carbonyl group. I'm not sayin' it'll be easy, just noting that there are those two groups to look at...

Using IR for quantitative analysis of concentrations is finicky. Couple that with the fact the keto-enol equilibrium strongly favors the keto form (such that the enol form is absolutely miniscule in most cases), and this is going to be a difficult route to doing this.

The IR for the compound in question shows no -OH peaks at all so I can probably assume that the vast majority of it is in the keto form but the question asked if the ratio can be determined with IR. I suppose the answers no.

It's *possible* to design an experiment where you could, but as I said it's finicky. You would use Beer's Law, so you'd have to keep the pathlength constant. As usual for using Beer's law, you would construct a calibration curve. A more sophisticated analysis might use a multivariable calibration curve. In any case, the peaks that you are measuring, I presume O-H, C=O, and C=C, would have to be remote enough from adjacent peaks that they could be easily measured. Also, as you mentioned, a lot of things can be lost in the background noise especially if the concentration of the analyte is very low (as the enol form would be).

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of determining the keto/enol ratio with IR?

The keto/enol ratio is important in understanding the structural and chemical properties of a compound. It can also provide information about the stability and reactivity of the compound.

2. How is the keto/enol ratio calculated using IR spectroscopy?

The keto/enol ratio is determined by comparing the peak intensities of the carbonyl (keto) and hydroxyl (enol) functional groups in the IR spectrum. The ratio is calculated by dividing the intensity of the enol peak by the intensity of the keto peak.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the keto/enol ratio determination?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the keto/enol ratio include the purity of the sample, the concentration of the compound, and the instrument settings used for IR spectroscopy. It is important to carefully prepare the sample and calibrate the instrument to ensure accurate results.

4. What is the significance of the keto/enol ratio in organic chemistry?

The keto/enol ratio is important in understanding the tautomeric equilibrium of a compound, which is the ability of a molecule to exist in different forms due to the movement of protons. This equilibrium is crucial in many biochemical and industrial processes.

5. Can the keto/enol ratio be determined with other analytical techniques?

Yes, the keto/enol ratio can also be determined with other techniques such as NMR spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. However, IR spectroscopy is often preferred due to its ease of use, cost-effectiveness, and ability to provide information about the functional groups present in a compound.