Neutralization reaction: NaCl + H2O

In summary, acids donate hydrogen ions while bases take hydrogen ions. An acid requires a base in order to work. An example of an acid is hydrochloric acid and an example of a base is sodium bicarbonate. When mixed, they react and form salt. The reaction equation for mixing hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide is NaOH + HCl = NaCl + H2O.
LogicalAcid
This is a subject I am unfamiliar with, and was just wondering where I should start in order to learn about them and how they affect different elements and form other substances step-by-step. From what I know, an Acid donated a Hydrogen Ion, and a Base takes a Hydrogen Ion, and an Acid has to have a base present in order to work (I think because it needs someone to take that heavy Ion of its hands). That's it really.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First things first - let's start with the simplest ideas.

Give an example of an acid.

Give an example of a base.

What happens when you mix them? Write reaction equation.

--

Borek said:

--
www.titrations.info, www.chemistry-quizzes.info, www.ph-meter.info

An Acid always has Hydrogen in it, because that is how they react (by losing the hydrogen Ion it has), for example, Hydrochloric acid is an Ion of Hydrogen, and an Ion of Chlorine (I think?).

A base is sodium bicarbonate, which reacts by taking Ions (like every other base), that is all I know.

I know how elements react, I still haven't gotten down to the writing of the equation, sorry.

Borek said:

--
www.titrations.info, www.chemistry-quizzes.info, www.ph-meter.info

Feel free to teach me, most people don't have the time and my school teacher is useless.

Salt forms, that a good point.

Sodium bicarbonate - while it is a base - is a more compliated case. Let's try something easier, like sodium hydroxide.

When you mix hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide - what products do you get?

Borek said:
Salt forms, that a good point.

Sodium bicarbonate - while it is a base - is a more compliated case. Let's try something easier, like sodium hydroxide.

When you mix hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide - what products do you get?

Again, salt is formed when you mix a base with an acid. They neutralize each other, the chemistry of this I don't know. Has to do with a chemical reaction of course.

LogicalAcid said:
Again, salt is formed when you mix a base with an acid. They neutralize each other, the chemistry of this I don't know. Has to do with a chemical reaction of course.

Maybe the salt formed has a lower Ph if the Base was stronger, and a higher Ph if the Acid was stronger?

Don't go too far, forget about pH and other things for now.

Salt forms, that we know. Try to finish the reaction:

NaOH + HCl = ____ + _____

Last edited:

What is an acid?

An acid is a chemical substance that has a pH level less than 7 and can donate hydrogen ions in a solution.

What is a base?

A base is a chemical substance that has a pH level greater than 7 and can accept hydrogen ions in a solution.

What happens when an acid and a base react?

When an acid and a base react, they undergo a neutralization reaction where the hydrogen ions from the acid combine with the hydroxide ions from the base to form water and a salt compound.

What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Acids have a pH less than 7, while bases have a pH greater than 7.

What are some examples of common acids and bases?

Some common acids include hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, and citric acid. Some common bases include sodium hydroxide, ammonia, and magnesium hydroxide.