Edwards Advanced Calculus of Several Variables

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker discusses using the textbook "Advanced Calculus of Several Variables" by Edwards in their class and wanting to practice for their exam by doing exercises from the chapters they covered. However, they do not have access to the answers and are wondering if there is a solution manual or if the answers can be found at the back of the book. It is suggested to contact the author, Henry Edwards, for further assistance.
mj1357
Edwards "Advanced Calculus of Several Variables"

We have been using some chapters from this textbook (1995 edition, ISBN: 978-0070602281) in my Advanced Calculus class, but our professor just gave us photocopies of the chapters we were covering (2 and 3 I think). I wanted to try to do some of the exercises in those chapters to practice for my exam, but I don't have the answers to any of the problems so I can't tell if I am doing them right or not.

Does anyone know if this book has a solution manual or if it has the answers to the exercises at the back of it? Or do you know where I can find solutions to some of the exercises? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you are using "some chapters" rather than just one or two problems, I wonder teacher isn't plagarizing- two whole chapters is hardly "fair use".

That book as with most, more advanced texts, doesn't have any solutions/answers at the back.

What is Edwards Advanced Calculus of Several Variables?

Edwards Advanced Calculus of Several Variables is a textbook written by Harold Edwards that covers the mathematical concepts of multivariable calculus, including topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

Who is the intended audience for this textbook?

This textbook is typically used by advanced undergraduate or graduate students studying mathematics, physics, or engineering.

What sets this textbook apart from other textbooks on multivariable calculus?

Edwards' textbook is known for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its rigorous approach to the subject matter. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help students further their understanding of the concepts.

Is this textbook suitable for self-study?

While this textbook is often used in a classroom setting, it can certainly be used for self-study. However, it is recommended that the reader has a strong foundation in single variable calculus before attempting to study multivariable calculus.

Are there any additional resources available to supplement this textbook?

Yes, the author has also published a solution manual for this textbook, as well as a companion book titled "Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach" that explores the subject from a different perspective.