What does the trig book mean? Need help with trig

Glad I could help clarify the concept for you!In summary, the conversation discussed finding other polar coordinates for a given point, with three different conditions to consider. The confusion arose in determining when to add or subtract pi in the solutions, which is based on coterminal angles. One revolution around a circle is equal to 2pi, hence the use of adding/subtracting 2pi in the solutions. There are infinite possibilities for these types of problems.
Jurrasic
Can anyone tell me what the trig book is trying to tell me? Don't know what they mean by this?
It says Finding other polar coordinate of a given point.
Plot the point P with polar coordinates (3, pi/6) and find other polar coordinates for (r , theta) of this same point for which :
there are 3 different things that they want you to do, they are:
r>0 , 2pi< or equal to theta < 4pi
r<0 , 0< or equal to theta < 2pi
and then r>0 , -2pi< or equal to theta < 0

The last part above confuses me because, I was wondering a few things:
in the book to get the solution, they say to add like pi, or 2pi or sometimes to subtract pi, how do you know when you are supposed to add or subtract however much pi?

like for the first one you add 2pi to get (3, 13pi/6) that's the answer , how do you know to add 2pi, why not 3 pi? 3 pi is still between 2pi< or equal to theta < 4pi

in the last one they subtracted 2pi? why did they? OK so There must be then, more rules that they aren't telling you on how you know to add/subtract how much more pi to the theta in the point P?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I have some polar coordinate (r, θ), there are many possibilities. I could have a θ that is pointing in the opposite direction with a negative radius. I could also have any number of coterminal angles to θ.

The adding/subtracting 2π is simply indicating a coterminal angle.

For instance, I can say π ± 2kπ, where k is any whole number, and the resulting angle will always be coterminal with π.

There is literally an infinite number of solutions to these problems.

like for the first one you add 2pi to get (3, 13pi/6) that's the answer , how do you know to add 2pi, why not 3 pi? 3 pi is still between 2pi< or equal to theta < 4pi

They knew to add 2π because one revolution about the circle (sweeping 360deg/2πrad) takes 2π.

Last edited:
QuarkCharmer said:
If I have some polar coordinate (r, θ), there are many possibilities. I could have a θ that is pointing in the opposite direction with a negative radius. I could also have any number of coterminal angles to θ.

So can you relate that idea to why they add different amounts of pi to get the solution?

QuarkCharmer said:

The adding/subtracting 2π is simply indicating a coterminal angle.

For instance, I can say π ± 2kπ, where k is any whole number, and the resulting angle will always be coterminal with π.

There is literally an infinite number of solutions to these problems.
They knew to add 2π because one revolution about the circle (sweeping 360deg/2πrad) takes 2π.

Sorry did not see that what you just wrote. Thanks that is really helpful. Many thanks :)

No problem.

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

2. What is the purpose of a trigonometry book?

A trigonometry book is a resource for learning and understanding the principles and concepts of trigonometry. It typically includes explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students master the subject.

3. How can I use a trigonometry book to improve my understanding?

To use a trigonometry book effectively, it is important to read the explanations and examples carefully, and then work through the practice problems to reinforce your understanding. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources or ask for assistance if you are struggling with a particular concept.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should learn from a trigonometry book?

Most trigonometry books will follow a logical progression of topics, starting with basic concepts and building upon them as the book progresses. It is recommended to follow this order and not skip ahead, as each topic builds upon the previous ones.

5. What are some common difficulties students face when using a trigonometry book?

Some common difficulties students may face when using a trigonometry book include understanding the terminology and notation, applying the concepts to real-world problems, and memorizing the various formulas. It is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed to overcome these challenges.