Solution for traveling faster than speed of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a gravitational device to travel faster than the speed of light. The concept is that since gravity has no speed, an object controlled by gravity could theoretically travel faster than light. However, this theory is met with skepticism and is considered to be gibberish by some. The conversation also mentions the existence of flying saucers and their supposed use of gravitational control, but this is not taken seriously by some participants. Overall, the feasibility of using gravity as a means of faster-than-light travel is debated.
Slickchange1313
yo guys, I've heard that in Einsteings theory of reletivity, that an object that travels less than the speed of light can never travel faster than the speed of light, and an object that travels faster than light can't travel slower than light. so if you could make a gravitational device (im sure u guys have heard of em) and since gravity has no speed, an object that is gravity controlled and moved, can travel faster then the speed of light theoretically, since it has no speed. is this completely stupid or am I on to something here?? without going into detail, u guys get the concept of what this is about. Einstein ever said an object can't travel faster than light, just for years we assumed that. let me no what you guys think, ok? :tongue2:

Science news on Phys.org
Slickchange1313 said:
yo guys, I've heard that in Einsteings theory of reletivity, that an object that travels less than the speed of light can never travel faster than the speed of light, and an object that travels faster than light can't travel slower than light. so if you could make a gravitational device (im sure u guys have heard of em) and since gravity has no speed, an object that is gravity controlled and moved, can travel faster then the speed of light theoretically, since it has no speed. is this completely stupid or am I on to something here?? without going into detail, u guys get the concept of what this is about. Einstein ever said an object can't travel faster than light, just for years we assumed that. let me no what you guys think, ok? :tongue2:

Gravity does have a speed.

You may want to look into black holes.

"gravitational device", "u guys get the concept of what this is about".

I have no idea what you are referring to. "Device" is a word meaning "thing that does something" and I don't know what concept you have in mind. But as JasonRox said, gravity does have speed.

further explanation

gravitational device, when I say that I say it loosely not fully understand it. but take left, middle, and right. when left and right are exerting the same force on object middle, object middle has a gravity field of 0. so since gravity does not have a speed, it can theoretically travel with the object at speeds faster than light, since the object has a gravitational force of 0. maybe that helps. what do u guys think of this?

Slickchange1313 said:
gravitational device, when I say that I say it loosely not fully understand it. but take left, middle, and right. when left and right are exerting the same force on object middle, object middle has a gravity field of 0. so since gravity does not have a speed, it can theoretically travel with the object at speeds faster than light, since the object has a gravitational force of 0. maybe that helps. what do u guys think of this?

It sounds like gibberish. Gravity is believed to move at c, and it has been shown experimentally that it isn't instantaneous (some careful measurements of stuff being diverted by jupiter).

Alkatran said:
It sounds like gibberish. Gravity is believed to move at c, and it has been shown experimentally that it isn't instantaneous (some careful measurements of stuff being diverted by jupiter).

Also, I'm not too sure if they have equipment that measures gravitational waves yet, but if they did, this would be one of things they would confirm.

JasonRox said:
Also, I'm not too sure if they have equipment that measures gravitational waves yet, but if they did, this would be one of things they would confirm.

They do, like LIGO, but it requires a major astronomical event to detect these waves.

And I agree with Alkatran - this sounds very much like gibberish. One cannot ask an ill-defined question and expect a coherent answer.

Zz.

maybe

maybe it does sound like gibberish, but what if u could make a gravitational device (such as the flying saucer (man made one, not Alien) in my guess, would be a form of gravitational control if the gov really did have the technology, then would u be able to fly greater than the speeds of light, thru this technology? This may not even exist, but if it did, which I am betting it did, would u be able to go faster than the speed of light

Hmm... no.

I found that people can talk and talk, but will never understand why until they teach themselves why.

I used to have "crazy" ideas, but I found that they remain useless until I learn how to show it or disprove it as impossible.

Pick up a text, and enjoy.

Slickchange1313 said:

Gnarly, d00d. Far out ------- cosmic even!

What r u smoking, man, I want sum!

its theory

I haven't been smokin anything for a while, thank you. and how else is an object supposed to go from 0-186K mps without gravity doing it? and if we some how did get that technology, that would mean if it somehow did go over 186K mps, it could never go back down to any less. so unless its like chrono, instant point to point, or gravity, there is no other way to do it. and how do u think flying saucers work? there's been documented cases in the Army of a big ball in the sky, accelerating from 0-10K in less than a second, impacts that would crush people inside without gravity control somehow. I am talking about man made, I don't believe in aliens at all. and don't take this so seriously, this is only a theory, on what if this happened, then is this possible. I am not saying it has happened. :rofl:

Ok, enough of this. Slick, you have been told by every poster that you are not making any physical sense. That is just the way it is. The basic message is ... Learn some Physics.

This discussion has no where to go and is thererfore over.

1. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. This means that it is not possible for any object or entity to travel faster than the speed of light.

2. Why is the speed of light considered the universal speed limit?

The speed of light is considered the universal speed limit because it is the fastest speed at which energy, mass, and information can travel. As an object's speed increases, its mass also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate. At the speed of light, an object's mass would become infinite, making it impossible to accelerate any further.

3. What are some proposed solutions for traveling faster than the speed of light?

Some proposed solutions for traveling faster than the speed of light include the concept of wormholes, which are theoretical tunnels through space-time that could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. Another proposed solution is the use of warp drives, which would manipulate the fabric of space-time to allow for faster-than-light travel.

4. Is it possible to break the speed of light barrier through technological advancements?

At this point in time, it is not possible to break the speed of light barrier through technological advancements. The laws of physics, specifically Einstein's theory of relativity, suggest that the speed of light is a fundamental limit that cannot be exceeded. However, as our understanding of physics and technology advances, it is possible that new breakthroughs could change this belief in the future.

5. Are there any consequences of traveling faster than the speed of light?

The consequences of traveling faster than the speed of light are not fully understood, as it is currently not possible. However, some theories suggest that it could result in time travel, paradoxes, and the violation of causality. It could also have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.