Can cookies be used for spyware on my computer?

• Thread starter Political Prodigy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, cookies store temporary information from websites and deleting them will require you to re-enter data on those websites. However, it is possible for an application to create a cookie on your computer that can be viewed by a website, potentially revealing your activities. This could happen if you illegally install software, serving as a form of spyware. While it may not be illegal, the company behind the software can still use this information in any way they can. Some feedback on this possibility would be appreciated.
Political Prodigy
Hi everyone, I do not know much about cookies and things like that and I was wondering if I deleted my cookies is it possible that I would mess up my computer?

Computer science news on Phys.org
No, cookes just store temporary information from websites, such as logins and etc. Deleteing them will only make you re-enter any data into the websites that you visited previously.

Okay sounds good, Thanks :smile:

Not sure if it actually happens, but there is nothing to stop an application running on your computer from creating a cookie that would then just be waiting to be viewed by a web-site if so designed. Think about this if you illegally install software. A pretty basic form of spyware I guess. Application runs, cookie is created, you stop by the web-site of the company that created the software and low and behold you have a cookie on your machine that basically tells them you installed their software. Illegal or not I have no idea, but certainly possible. They may not be able to take legal action based on this evidence, but they still know what you have and will use this information in any way they can. I'm no computer genius though, so maybe I'm just full of it. Wouldn't mind some feedback though.

1. Can cookies harm my computer?

Cookies themselves are not harmful to your computer. They are small text files that are stored on your computer by websites you visit. However, they can potentially be used by hackers to gain access to your personal information or track your online activities. It is important to regularly clear your cookies and only accept cookies from trusted websites.

2. Do I need cookies enabled on my computer?

Cookies are not necessary for your computer to function properly. However, disabling cookies may limit your browsing experience, as some websites may require cookies to remember your preferences or keep you logged in. You can choose to disable cookies or manage your cookie settings in your web browser.

3. Are all cookies bad?

No, not all cookies are bad. Cookies can be either first-party or third-party. First-party cookies are created by the website you are visiting and are typically used for basic functions such as remembering your login information. Third-party cookies are created by external websites and are used for tracking your online activities. It is important to be cautious of third-party cookies and only accept them from trusted sources.

4. Can cookies give my computer a virus?

No, cookies cannot give your computer a virus. They are simply text files and cannot execute any code. However, as mentioned earlier, cookies can potentially be used by hackers to gain access to your personal information or track your online activities. It is important to regularly clear your cookies and only accept cookies from trusted websites to minimize these risks.

5. How can I protect my computer from cookies?

In addition to regularly clearing your cookies and only accepting them from trusted sources, you can also enable private browsing or incognito mode in your web browser. This will prevent cookies from being stored on your computer during your browsing session. You can also use anti-tracking software or browser extensions to block or manage cookies.