Compressed Air System Dynamics: Calculating Pressure Drop & Cv

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the dynamics of a compressed air system. The system consists of a filter/regulator unit, spool valves, and a rotary actuator with associated fittings. The air is fed through a 2" nominal bore line at 7.5 bar and then regulated to 5 bar. Each valve must be actuated in 0.5 seconds and the flow rate is calculated using Boyle's Law. The conversation also mentions the analogy between electrical circuits and compressed air systems and the use of Bernoulli's principle to calculate the optimum pipe diameter. The speaker also mentions the use of software from manufacturers to solve the problem.
fonz
I want to work out the dynamics of a compressed air system consisting of a filter/regulator unit some spool valves and a rotary actuator with all the associated fittings.

Essentially I have a 2" nominal bore compressed air line at roughly 7.5 bar, I have a system which feeds off this air main on 12mm nylon tubing to a filter/regulator unit which regulates the air to around 5 bar. This feeds a valve manifold of roughly 8 3/2 spool valves each feeding a spring return rotary actuator on 6mm nylon.

So I can calculate the total volume of each actuator and associated tubing to be xm3 Each valve has to be actuated in 0.5 seconds i.e. from 1bar (air dumped) xm3 to 5 bar xm3 in 0.5 seconds.

So by applying Boyle's Law:

p1V1=p2V2

1V1=5x

V1=5x

So I need to shift 5x in 0.5 seconds so my flow rate when the valve opens is (5x)/2m3/s is this correct?

Now here's the thing I haven't got to grips with (I'm electrically biased by trade) In electrical engineering we use ohm's law and from what I am told voltage is analogous to pressure, current is analogous to flow rate and resistance is presumably analogous to air resistance in the components that make up the system and the actuator.

In an electrical circuit I can calculate the volt drop across a resistor quite easily and I assume the same can be done with pressure drop yet I can't find any decent texts that explain this. I would like to know how to work out the pressure drop of a system and how it affects a compressed air ring main. For example when I open my spool valve it surely must have some effect on the pressure of the system?

Finally, what does Cv actually tell you? To calculate it you need flow rate and pressure drop etc. but what actually is it?

If anybody could recommend some decent text to bring me up to speed it would be much appreciated

Regards
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Basically what I'm saying is if I know the required flow rate how do I calculate the optimum pipe diameter capable of carrying this flow, increasing the pipe diameter increases the volume so required flow rate will increase but decreasing the pipe diameter must restrict the flow. I'm pretty sure Bernoulli's principle will not apply as the air is compressible but this needs clarification.

Your problem may be practically solved most simply by downloading software from Festo or another manufacturer of pneumatic components.

tvavanasd said:
Your problem may be practically solved most simply by downloading software from Festo or another manufacturer of pneumatic components.

But that is too easy!

What is a compressed air system?

A compressed air system is a type of power system that uses compressed air to operate various tools, machines, and equipment. It works by compressing air to a high pressure and storing it in a tank, which can then be released to power different devices.

What is pressure drop in a compressed air system?

Pressure drop in a compressed air system refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs as the compressed air travels through the system. This can be due to factors such as friction, bends in the piping, and restrictions in the flow. Pressure drop is an important factor to consider in order to ensure efficient operation of the system.

How is pressure drop calculated in a compressed air system?

Pressure drop can be calculated by using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the density, velocity, and elevation of the compressed air. It can also be calculated by using specialized software or through experimentation.

What is Cv in a compressed air system?

Cv, or flow coefficient, is a measurement of the flow capacity of a valve or other control device in a compressed air system. It is used to determine the amount of air that can pass through the device at a specific pressure drop.

How can I improve the efficiency of my compressed air system?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a compressed air system, including regular maintenance and leak detection, proper sizing and selection of equipment, minimizing pressure drop, and implementing energy-saving measures such as using variable speed drives or compressed air storage. It is also important to regularly monitor and adjust the system to optimize its performance.