Mechanical vs Electrical: Exploring Job Market Prospects for Graduates

In summary, the job market for both mechanical and electrical engineering has fluctuated over the years, with electrical engineering having a slight advantage in recent years. However, it is more important to pursue a degree in a subject that you are passionate about rather than solely considering job market trends. At Drexel University, it is possible to specialize in control theory as a mechanical or electrical major, so it is possible to enter the field of controls with a mechanical degree.
MEM33
Hello all, I am a Mechanical major at Drexel University. I am throwing this up for debate...Which major has a better job market after graduation, mechanical or electrical?

Physics news on Phys.org
MEM33 said:
Hello all, I am a Mechanical major at Drexel University. I am throwing this up for debate...Which major has a better job market after graduation, mechanical or electrical?

They both ebb and flow. Over the last 10 years or so, in the United States, the job market for Electrical Engineers has been superior to that for Mechanical. That said, they are both not as good as they were in the 80s and 90s.

Personally, I would study what you're passionate about. You're far better off being a good Mechanical engineer than a mediocre Electrical Engineer, even if the market for EEs is a bit better.

Do what you want to do. IMO, the job market should only be a concern if you're truly worried that you'll do a degree in something you like, but then not be able to find a job that's at all related to that subject, so you'll end up doing something completely unrelated which you hate. In the case of engineering, I don't think that's a very big concern.

thegreenlaser said:
Do what you want to do. IMO, the job market should only be a concern if you're truly worried that you'll do a degree in something you like, but then not be able to find a job that's at all related to that subject, so you'll end up doing something completely unrelated which you hate. In the case of engineering, I don't think that's a very big concern.

Good point. Coming into the program I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I figured I would be a mechanical major, since it is the broadest of the bunch. Now that I have been exposed to quite a few different classes, I find control theory very interesting. At my school you can concentrate in control theory as a mechanical or electrical major. I guess my specific question can you enter the field of something like controls with a mechanical degree?

Thanks,
Mem33

I would approach this question by looking at data and statistics rather than personal opinions. Both mechanical and electrical engineering are highly in demand and have strong job prospects for graduates. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, both fields are projected to grow at a rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is considered faster than the average for all occupations.

In terms of salary, mechanical engineers have a median annual wage of $88,430, while electrical engineers have a median annual wage of $98,530. However, it is important to note that these numbers can vary depending on the specific industry and location.

It is also worth considering the specific skills and knowledge that each major offers. Mechanical engineering focuses on the design and development of mechanical systems, while electrical engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems. Both fields have their own unique applications and industries, so it ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals.

In conclusion, both mechanical and electrical engineering have strong job market prospects for graduates. It is important for individuals to carefully consider their interests and skills when choosing a major, rather than solely focusing on job market prospects. Both fields offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities.

What is the difference between mechanical and electrical systems?

Mechanical systems use moving parts, such as gears, levers, and pulleys, to transfer energy and perform work. Electrical systems use electricity to transfer energy and perform work.

Which is more efficient, mechanical or electrical systems?

In general, electrical systems are more efficient than mechanical systems. This is because mechanical systems have more moving parts that can create friction and decrease efficiency.

What are the advantages of using mechanical systems?

Mechanical systems are often more durable and can withstand high temperatures, making them suitable for use in harsh environments. They also tend to be less expensive and easier to repair compared to electrical systems.

What are the advantages of using electrical systems?

Electrical systems offer more precise control and can perform tasks faster than mechanical systems. They are also more flexible and can be easily integrated with other systems, allowing for automation and remote operation.

Can mechanical and electrical systems be used together?

Yes, mechanical and electrical systems can be used together in what is known as mechatronics. This combines the strengths of both systems to create more efficient and versatile machines.