Force Exerted From the Ground During a Jump.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the initial speed and force exerted on a person during a jump. The first part of the problem involved finding the initial speed and was correctly solved for 3.4m/s. The second part asks for the force in terms of the person's weight, W. The solution involves finding the mass of the person, which can be calculated using the weight.
JSpadafore
Hello! This problem has been driving me crazy all week long, and now I am down to the last few hours before the assignment is due. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Statement

An average person can reach a maximum height of about 60cm when jumping straight up from a crouched position. During the jump itself, the person's body from the knees up typically rises a distance of around 50cm. To keep the calculations simple and yet get a reasonable result, assume that the entire body rises this much during the jump.

Part A required me to find the initial speed a person would need to reach a maximum height of 60cm, for which I correctly answered 3.4m/s.

Part B is where I find myself stuck. It asks, "In terms of this jumper's weight (w), what force does the ground exert on him or her during the jump?"The answer will read:
F= ___ w.

Homework Equations

ƩFy=may
w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I've just been trying to figure out how I am supposed to get anywhere without first knowing the mass of the person jumping. I suspect it has something to do with the initial speed I had calculated for Part A being related to an opposite force, coming from the ground going to the person jumping.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The body accelerates from zero to 3.4 m/s speed during the first stage of the jump, while rising 0.5 m. Determine the acceleration. From the acceleration, you can find the force.

ehild

JSpadafore said:
Honestly, I've just been trying to figure out how I am supposed to get anywhere without first knowing the mass of the person jumping.
You are asked to express the answer in terms of the jumper's weight. So given the weight as W, what's his mass?

What is the force exerted from the ground during a jump?

The force exerted from the ground during a jump is the upward force that pushes against the jumper's feet and propels them into the air.

What factors affect the force exerted from the ground during a jump?

The force exerted from the ground during a jump is affected by the strength and speed of the jumper's leg muscles, the angle and speed of their approach to the ground, and the surface they are jumping from.

How is the force exerted from the ground during a jump measured?

The force exerted from the ground during a jump can be measured using force plates, which are specialized devices that measure the ground reaction force produced by the jumper's feet.

What is the relationship between the force exerted from the ground and the height of a jump?

The force exerted from the ground is directly related to the height of a jump. The greater the force exerted, the higher the jump will be.

How can the force exerted from the ground during a jump be increased?

The force exerted from the ground during a jump can be increased by improving leg muscle strength and explosiveness through training, using proper jumping technique, and using equipment such as plyometric boxes or resistance bands.