Why is my OS X Lion 10.7.3 boot failing at still waiting for a root device?

• Thread starter phylotree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Os
In summary, the user is experiencing a boot failure on their Lion 10.7.3 system with the error message "still waiting for root device." They have searched online and found others with the same issue, but are still looking for a solution. The user also mentions installing and updating iTunes and using VMware for their installation.
phylotree
Why does my Lion 10.7.3 boot fail at "still waiting for a root device" ? :frown:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thank you, this happens after I installed and updated iTune yesterday. Now the boot process stops while the OS is being loaded and I am so confused.
VoodooPS2SynapticsTouchPad Loaded
No interval found for . Using 8000000
ApplePS2 Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v6.16
Still waiting for root device

[edit]I am installing it on my VMware by the way

Are there multiple "hard drives" in this environment? If so, it's possible that the logical drive number was changed. When booting on a real system instead of via VMWare, the logical drive numbers are assigned in the BIOS, and can be changed by changing device and/or boot order of the hard drives.

There are a few potential reasons why your OS X Lion 10.7.3 boot is failing at the "still waiting for a root device" stage. One possible explanation is that there is an issue with the connection between your computer's hard drive and the operating system. This could be caused by a loose cable or a malfunctioning hard drive.

Another potential cause could be a corrupt or missing system file that is necessary for the boot process. This could be due to a software update or installation that did not complete successfully.

It is also possible that there could be a compatibility issue with your computer's hardware and the OS X Lion 10.7.3 operating system. This could be due to outdated or incompatible drivers.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would recommend starting by checking all of your computer's connections and ensuring that your hard drive is functioning properly. You may also want to try booting into safe mode to see if the issue persists. If it does, you may need to reinstall the operating system or seek assistance from a professional technician.

1. What causes the boot problem in OS X Lion 10.7.3?

The most common cause of the boot problem in OS X Lion 10.7.3 is a corrupted or damaged system file. This can happen due to a software update, improper shutdown, or a hardware malfunction.

2. How can I fix the boot problem in OS X Lion 10.7.3?

There are a few potential solutions for fixing the boot problem in OS X Lion 10.7.3. First, try booting in safe mode by holding down the Shift key while starting up your computer. If that doesn't work, you can try resetting the PRAM or SMC on your Mac. If all else fails, you may need to reinstall the operating system.

3. Can I prevent the boot problem from happening again?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent the boot problem from happening again, there are some steps you can take to minimize the risk. Make sure to properly shut down your computer and avoid sudden power outages. Additionally, keeping your system and software up to date can help prevent any potential issues.

4. Will I lose any data if I fix the boot problem in OS X Lion 10.7.3?

In most cases, fixing the boot problem in OS X Lion 10.7.3 will not result in any data loss. However, it is always recommended to back up your important files before attempting any fixes, just in case.

5. Can I get professional help for the boot problem in OS X Lion 10.7.3?

If you are not comfortable troubleshooting the boot problem on your own, or if the above solutions do not work, it is recommended to seek professional help. You can bring your Mac to an authorized service provider or contact Apple Support for assistance.