Why Does Hydrogen Fluoride (HF) Pose a Danger?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
In summary, HF is a very dangerous substance that can cause burns and bone damage if it is ingested or inhaled. It is best avoided by using other acids or etching methods that do not involve HF.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
It's not a strong acid, it's not an oxidizer, it's not a reducer. What does it do?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I did a bit of research and found info at this site:
http://www.mnpoison.org/index.asp?pageID=151

Apparently, it is very dangerous because of its ability to penetrate tissue (causing severe burns).

It also reacts with the calcium in your bones to make CaF2, which is very insoluble in pretty much anything. That's not a good thing. The treatment for exposure is essentially a calcium supplement, I think.

Thanks for the info.
How does HF penetrate skin so quickly, and how does HF eat glass?

We do a bunch of GaAs (gallium arsenide) processing in our lab. The etchant for GaAs has traditionally involved HF because that gives you a fast, anisotripc etch with GaAs, which is otherwise very hard to dissolve. Over the last decade or so, people have been switching to slower alternatives, from hearing scary stories about HF disasters. I, for one, was extremely relieved, when we were able to establish our processing procedure such that it entirely eliminated HF (and Br2, which is another common solvent in this field).

I think the reason that HF penetrates so deep is because the fluoride ions are stabilized only by calcium or magnesium ions, found mostly in bone tissue. Soluble salts also are formed with other cations but dissociate rapidly. Consequently, fluoride ions release, and further tissue destruction occurs. Another property that makes HF such a hazard is its high vapor pressure - so inhalation can be very harmful.

What's interesting about HF is that it is extremely corrosive despite being quite a weak acid (it's only about 2% dissociated in aqueous solution). I think the reason for this is that it hydrates much better than the other acids.

movies said:
It also reacts with the calcium in your bones to make CaF2, which is very insoluble in pretty much anything. That's not a good thing. The treatment for exposure is essentially a calcium supplement, I think.

Yes, typically calcium gluconate gel is used. Any lab that uses HF is required to have CGG easily accessible (I think it has now become mandatory...after someone died from multiple organ failure resulting from dropping a beaker of HF on his lap).

1. Why is hydrogen fluoride considered dangerous?

Hydrogen fluoride (HF) is considered dangerous because it is a highly corrosive and toxic chemical. It can cause severe burns to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system and can be fatal if ingested in large amounts.

2. How does hydrogen fluoride pose a danger to human health?

When hydrogen fluoride comes into contact with the skin or eyes, it can cause severe burns. Inhaling its fumes can irritate the respiratory tract and lead to breathing difficulties. If ingested, it can cause damage to the gastrointestinal tract and potentially lead to death.

3. What are the potential long-term health effects of exposure to hydrogen fluoride?

Long-term exposure to hydrogen fluoride can lead to chronic health problems such as respiratory issues, eye irritation, and bone damage. It has also been linked to an increased risk of certain types of cancer, such as lung and bladder cancer.

4. How are people typically exposed to hydrogen fluoride?

People can be exposed to hydrogen fluoride through inhalation of its fumes, ingestion of contaminated food or water, or direct skin contact with the chemical. It is commonly used in industrial processes and can also be found in certain household products, such as rust removers and glass etching solutions.

5. What should I do if I come into contact with hydrogen fluoride?

If you come into contact with hydrogen fluoride, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. If the exposure is through skin contact, rinse the affected area with water for at least 15 minutes. If the exposure is through inhalation, move to an area with fresh air and seek medical help. Do not induce vomiting if the chemical was ingested.