Torque calculations for peristaltic pump

In summary, In order to turn a peristaltic pump at a constant speed of 26 rev/min, a torque of 200Nm is required, which can be determined by measuring the force required to rotate the input shaft at 1.8 Kg over 10 tests.
karl8695
Hi all,

I have a peristaltic pump that i need to rotate at 26 rev/min. The gear arrangement attached to the pump is calculated at 13.1:1 therefore I am assuming an input speed of 340rev/min is required to produce a reduction in speed to the desired output of 26 rev/min.

Gear A (1st driver) - 12 teeth
Gear B (1st driven) - 43 teeth
Gear C (2nd driver) - 9 teeth
Gear D (2nd driven) - 33 teeth

My problem is that I need to know what Force is required to turn my pump and thus the the force required by my drive unit, a 'power spring' to transmit the desired force. I do not have any measuring devices other that a spring scale graduated in Kg. I did however determine the force required to rortate the input shaft, albeit not at the correct speed which came out at an average of 1.8 Kg over 10 tests. I did this by tying a thread around the input shaft to the gear arrangement and then attaching the other end to the spring scale and simply pulling and recording the max pull in Kg over 10 separate attempts.

Can I determine the torque (power) i need from my power spring to turn my pump at a constant speed of 26 rev/min?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some random thoughts:
If the ratio of your gears is 13.1:1 I would have thought the other way. That you only need 2rpm input to get 26 rpm from the pump.

I think to measure the torque you should offer the pitch of the gears or the pitch circle diameter/radius of the gears.

Input torque on the gears should be (torque of pump)/13.1
I think you need to provide the displacement of the pump.

pump torque = ((pressure * displacement)/2pi)* efficiency

eg: pressure = 240 bar
displacement = 55cc
eff = 0.95

T= 200Nm

No, the pump definatley works with a geared reduction so 340 rev/min input speed.
Displacement of the pump = 0.3Litres/min
Pressure = 0.1 bar
Efficience is unknown

Hey don't know whom to ask but i have a question...
I am using a gear box and its center distances are 70,90 and 120...its a three stage reduction gear box... i want a total gearbox ratio of 40...how should i select the modules i have to use in each 3 stages for getting proper ratio ?

1. What is torque in relation to peristaltic pumps?

Torque is a measure of the force required to rotate the peristaltic pump's rollers or rotors. It is an important factor in pump performance and can affect the flow rate and pressure of the fluid being pumped.

2. How is torque calculated for peristaltic pumps?

To calculate torque for a peristaltic pump, you need to know the diameter of the rollers or rotors, the length of the tubing, the number of rollers or rotors, and the speed of rotation. The formula for torque is torque = (force x distance) / (2 x pi x number of rollers x speed).

3. What factors can affect torque in peristaltic pumps?

Factors that can affect torque in peristaltic pumps include the material and size of the tubing, the number and size of rollers or rotors, the speed of rotation, and the viscosity of the fluid being pumped. These factors can all impact the amount of force needed to rotate the rollers or rotors, thus affecting the torque.

4. How does torque impact the performance of a peristaltic pump?

The torque of a peristaltic pump is directly related to its flow rate and pressure capabilities. Higher torque can result in higher flow rates and pressures, while lower torque may lead to lower flow rates and pressures. It is important to accurately calculate and monitor torque for optimal pump performance.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to torque in peristaltic pumps?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to torque in peristaltic pumps. If the torque is too high, it can cause damage to the pump or tubing, leading to potential leaks or malfunctions. It is important to regularly check and maintain appropriate torque levels to ensure safe and efficient operation of the peristaltic pump.