How to find cutoff frequencies from Bode plot?

In summary, the cutoff corner frequencies for this bode plot are 1, 20, 80, 500 and 8000. These are determined by identifying the points where the slope of the magnitude plot changes, indicating a change in filter response. Drawing straight-line segments and identifying the intersections can help with approximating the plot and finding the corner frequencies.
dominicfhk

Homework Statement

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7517/captureax.jpg
According to the solution, the cutoff frequencies are 1, 20, 80, 500 and 8000. I don't understand how to get those answers by inspecting the plot.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the cutoff frequency is defined as the frequency at which the ratio of input/output equals to 0.707, or whenever the magnitude of the frequency breaks downward. However, I don't see why 1, 20, 80, 500 and 8000 are the cutoff frequency for this bode plot. So how exactly can I tell what the cutoff frequencies are by inspecting the plot? Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The term is "corner frequency", and describes where the slope of the magnitude plot "turns a corner". This manifests as places where the slope alters from its previous "trend", for example going from convex to concave in shape.

If you look at the plot of a simple first-order filter (say a low pass filter), it can be represented schematically as a horizontal straight line which turns a corner and thereafter follows a new straight line that slopes down to the right with increasing frequency. (In reality the "corner" is rounded curve, but schematically you can picture the intersection of the two line segments).

If you cascade a number of filter sections with different "corners", the slope changes are cumulative and cause the bode plot to undulate accordingly. Picking out the corners from the plot is a matter of looking for the (sometimes subtle) slope changes.

dominicfhk said:
According to the solution, the [STRIKE]cutoff[/strike] corner frequencies are 1, 20, 80, 500 and 8000. I don't understand how to get those answers by inspecting the plot.
Well, it is certainly a help to be told what the corner frequencies are. :smile: It makes finding them just that much easier. :tongue:

Try to approximate the amplitude plot by drawing straight-line segments. These can have gradients (in dB/decade) of 0, ±20, ±40, etc. The corners where adjacent line segments intersect define the corner frequencies described above.

1. What is a Bode plot?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It consists of two plots - one for the magnitude response and one for the phase response - plotted against the logarithm of the frequency.

2. How do I read a Bode plot?

The magnitude plot shows the gain or attenuation of the system at various frequencies, while the phase plot shows the phase shift of the output compared to the input at different frequencies. The cutoff frequencies can be identified as the frequencies at which the magnitude plot starts to deviate significantly from the flat portion of the plot.

3. How do I find the cutoff frequencies from a Bode plot?

The cutoff frequencies can be found by identifying the -3dB points on the magnitude plot. These are the frequencies at which the gain is reduced by 3dB (or half its original value). The point where the magnitude plot intersects the -3dB line is the cutoff frequency.

4. Can I find the cutoff frequencies from the phase plot?

No, the phase plot does not provide information about the cutoff frequencies. It only shows the phase shift at different frequencies.

5. How do I determine the type of filter from a Bode plot?

The shape of the magnitude plot can give an indication of the type of filter. For example, a low-pass filter will have a gradual decrease in gain at high frequencies, while a high-pass filter will have a gradual decrease in gain at low frequencies. A band-pass filter will have a peak in gain at the center frequency. Additionally, the number of -3dB points on the magnitude plot can also give an indication of the order of the filter.