Viscous fingering and structure of space

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between the large scale structure of space and the phenomenon of viscous fingering in fluids between two surfaces. It is suggested that the expansion of space may play a role in the formation of these structures, and perhaps even in the formation of life and evolution. However, the use of artistic metaphors is cautioned against.
andreas.zita
Everytime I see a picture of the large scale structure of space with matter arranged in a web like form, I come to think of the fenomenon of viscous fingering in fluids between to surfaces when they are moved apart. Since space is expanding as well, maybee these structures have something to do with the same forming processes?

(Perhaps life and evolution is also dependent on the expansion of space, to form it's own structures such as dendrites in the brain and other forms of self-organizing structures. A bit far fetched perhaps.)

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Beware of artistic metaphores.

Simon Bridge said:
Beware of artistic metaphores.

I know... I can't help it. After all I'm human ... :)

1. What is viscous fingering?

Viscous fingering is a phenomenon that occurs when a less viscous fluid displaces a more viscous fluid in a porous medium, resulting in the formation of finger-like structures.

2. How does viscous fingering relate to the structure of space?

Viscous fingering is a fundamental process that can occur in various natural systems, including geological formations and astrophysical environments. The formation of viscous fingers can help us understand the structure and dynamics of these systems.

3. What factors influence the formation of viscous fingers?

The formation of viscous fingers is influenced by several factors, including the viscosity contrast between the two fluids, the flow rate, and the geometry of the porous medium.

4. How is viscous fingering studied in the laboratory?

In the laboratory, viscous fingering can be studied using experimental setups that mimic natural systems, such as Hele-Shaw cells or porous media models. These experiments allow scientists to observe and analyze the formation of fingers under controlled conditions.

5. How does understanding viscous fingering contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Viscous fingering is a universal phenomenon that occurs in a wide range of natural systems, from the microscopic scales of nanofluids to the macroscopic scales of geological formations or astrophysical environments. By studying viscous fingering, we can gain insights into the dynamics and structures of these systems, ultimately contributing to our understanding of the universe.