Simulation of a GSHP system in Simulink

In summary, the person is trying to model a ground source heat pump system and does not have any experience with MATLAB or simulink. He would like some pointers on where to start.
middlj
Hello kind people of PF,

I'm working on a project and attempting to simulate a ground source heat pump system in simulink. I have no experience what so ever with MATLAB or simulink, which isn't helping. Does anybody here have any experience of modelling such systems in this environment?

Just a few pointers on where to start would be great! I've read many papers, journal extracts, websites, manuals but I'm still getting nowhere.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've had lots of experience and would like to help, but you try to stay far away from simulink when you don't have to use it and tend to forget it.

Vadar2012 said:
I've had lots of experience and would like to help, but you try to stay far away from simulink when you don't have to use it and tend to forget it.

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to make a simulation where you can input required heating loads and heat pump type, and the simulation calculates the necessary borehole depth. I would also like to investigate horizontal ground loop heat exchangers as well f I can figure out a way of doing so.

What simulation environment would you reocmmend?

I don't see any reason not to use Simulink. Keep in mind I currently have neither subscription so this is from memory but you can definitely build functional boxes in Simulink to do your calculations. You can write a script in MATLAB for the inputs, build your functional boxes in Simulink that take the input references from your script and output the results. The specific commands will require some research but if I remember right are fairly intuitive. You may benefit from just tinkering a bit with MATLAB commands and the Simulink ui since it's graphical.

I would actually think it would be the easiest way to do it. Good luck.

1. What is a GSHP system?

A GSHP (Ground Source Heat Pump) system is a type of heating and cooling system that uses the natural heat of the earth to regulate the temperature of a building. It consists of a series of underground pipes filled with a heat transfer fluid, which absorbs heat from the ground and transfers it to a heat pump located inside the building. The heat pump then uses this heat to warm or cool the air as needed.

2. How does a GSHP system work?

A GSHP system works by utilizing the relatively constant temperature of the earth to heat and cool a building. The underground pipes, known as a ground loop, are filled with a fluid that absorbs heat from the ground and carries it to a heat pump located inside the building. The heat pump then uses this heat to warm or cool the air, which is then circulated throughout the building.

3. What are the benefits of using a GSHP system?

There are several benefits to using a GSHP system. Firstly, it is a highly efficient way to heat and cool a building, as it uses renewable energy from the earth rather than relying on fossil fuels. Additionally, it can reduce energy costs and has a lower environmental impact compared to traditional heating and cooling systems. It also has a longer lifespan and requires less maintenance.

4. How is a GSHP system simulated in Simulink?

A GSHP system can be simulated in Simulink by creating a model that represents the different components of the system, such as the ground loop, heat pump, and building. The model can then be used to simulate the system's performance under different conditions and to optimize its design and control strategies.

5. What factors should be considered when simulating a GSHP system in Simulink?

When simulating a GSHP system in Simulink, it is important to consider factors such as the size and layout of the building, the properties of the ground and heat transfer fluid, the efficiency of the heat pump, and the control strategies used. It is also essential to validate the simulation results with real-world data to ensure accuracy and reliability.