Mechanical engineering for beginners

In summary, the conversation discusses the technical skills required for a mechanical engineer and the usefulness of programming skills. The speakers mention that while programming can be helpful, it is not necessary to have extensive knowledge in order to complete a mechanical engineering degree. They also suggest learning other tools and skills to add to one's problem-solving abilities.
mechgen
hey there! Sorry, if my post comes as one those repeated over and over but then here it is:
I'm MechE student in freshman year and I'm looking forward to getting started with all the stuff that it encompasses...As such I was wondering what technical skills are required for a mechanical engineer. Do we guys need programming skills?...if not exhaustively then what and how?

P.S: I am sufficiently proficient in C/C++ programming and it would help if you could tell if learning any more of such languages (Python, JAVA, FORTRAN etc.) would come in handy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general, it's not that necessary to know much programming to get through a mechanical engineering degree. That said, you can certainly simulate a lot of problems from statics with simple MATLAB programming. My curriculum requires a couple of MATLAB courses, but other universities are different.

I've done a few things with MATLAB, but much more so I rely on my previous experience working on cars and then industrial equipment to understand what's going on. Even for the most analytically minded of us, there's no substitute for hands on work. In your case, since you are already proficient in a couple of languages, leaning more languages doesn't really round out your skills. I'd suggest doing something that's outside of your current strengths. More tools in the toolbox means more to use in solving a problem.

I found programming skills to be useful for understaing better the iterative optimization methods in the numerical methods class. When I started college I had taken C++, and ended up taking 3 Java classes as tech electives in addition to my degree (the similarities between Java and C++ made this very easy).

I think having some basic programming experience can be helpful for any engineering degree, and it sounds like you've got enough to be good to go.

I too am in my freshmen year of engineering. I am taking intro to Fundamentals of Engineering this Fall term. In my lab there are a few guys who know how to use matlab, excel, and autocad. I suggest you try to learn how to use MATLAB solid works as much as you can.

We will being going over excel's program and some other program I can't think of right now...

What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems.

What are some examples of mechanical engineering?

Some common examples of mechanical engineering include designing and developing engines, machines, tools, vehicles, and other mechanical systems used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy.

What skills do I need to become a mechanical engineer?

To become a successful mechanical engineer, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics, physics, and materials science. You should also have good communication skills and be able to work well in a team.

What are the different branches of mechanical engineering?

Some common branches of mechanical engineering include: design engineering, manufacturing engineering, thermal and fluid sciences, and materials engineering. Each branch focuses on different aspects of mechanical systems and requires a unique set of skills and knowledge.

What is the job outlook for mechanical engineers?

The job outlook for mechanical engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029. This is due to the increasing demand for new technology, products, and energy sources, which will require the skills and expertise of mechanical engineers.