Need help on pipe-flo pro document

• Thread starter keng
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating pressure drop using the Darcy-Weisbach equation in a Pipe-Flo Pro document. There is confusion about the inclusion of the acceleration due to gravity, with some equations having it and others not. It is concluded that the g in the equation represents the conversion factor for imperial units and can be ignored for metric units. There is also discussion about using different equations for friction factor, with the final solution being obtained through trial and error. The conversation also touches on using different pipe lengths and dimensions in the calculations.
keng
hi everyone this is my first thread on this board and sorry for any missing in English because it's not my native language

i just want to calculate the pressure drop base on pipe-flo pro document which has been share in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179830.

my question is about equation1 in this paper.
dP = fρ(L/D)v2/2g

Is it correct for gravitational term to be in these d-w equation's form?
And if it's correct, where is "g" come from?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi keng, welcome to the board.
keng said:
hi everyone this is my first thread on this board and sorry for any missing in English because it's not my native language

i just want to calculate the pressure drop base on pipe-flo pro document which has been share in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179830.

my question is about equation1 in this paper.
dP = fρ(L/D)v2/2g

Is it correct for gravitational term to be in these d-w equation's form?
And if it's correct, where is "g" come from?
g is the acceleration due to gravity or 9.8 m/s2 or equivalent. For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy–Weisbach_equation#Head_loss_form

See also equation 15 in Pipe-Flo Pro.

hi Q_Goest thank for reply,
g is the acceleration due to gravity or 9.8 m/s2 or equivalent. For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy%E...Head_loss_form

See also equation 15 in Pipe-Flo Pro.
on pressure loss form(wiki),there is no g on the right hand side but it appear in equation 1 in pipe-flo pro document?

about equation 15, I'm confuse again because i solve there unit and the first term on the right hand side p/ρ is not unit of hieght ?

Last edited by a moderator:
keng said:
hi Q_Goest thank for reply,

on pressure loss form(wiki),there is no g on the right hand side but it appear in equation 1 in pipe-flo pro document?

about equation 15, I'm confuse again because i solve there unit and the first term on the right hand side p/ρ is not unit of hieght ?
Ok, I see the dilemma now. The g isn't actually the acceleration due to gravity as they state. I suspect Pipe-Flo Pro put it in there to represent gc which is the conversion factor used for imperial measure. Just ignore it if you're using metric units or use gc if using imperial units.

The head loss form of the equation has the g in it (acceleration due to gravity:
8eca882f8e4cf2800ab7d4ddfaae3a97.png

But you're correct that the pressure loss form of the equation does not have a g in it since they cancel out:
d507bcd5f5091fb94dabf55d828f59a3.png

thx a lot, Q_Goest
i think there is some conflict in unit of pressure in this document.
in eq 15, if i cancel g out(for my metric units calcuation like you've said)
the first term on the right hand side still not unit of height and the second term reduce to0.5v2 which is not unit of height like before cancel g out
i suspect that unit of pressure in this paper maybe Pa/(m/s2) then eq.1 and 15 become D-W pressure loss form for eq.1 and bernoulli's total head form for eq15

Another question, Is it ok to solve velocity from the set of equation in this document with known of pressure (dP) and pipe dimension (L, D)

I’ve done on calculation as attach below
Is it correct to use D-W and Colebrook this way?

Attachments

• cal1.pdf
    240 KB · Views: 262
keng said:
thx a lot, Q_Goest
i think there is some conflict in unit of pressure in this document.
in eq 15, if i cancel g out(for my metric units calcuation like you've said)
the first term on the right hand side still not unit of height and the second term reduce to0.5v2 which is not unit of height like before cancel g out
i suspect that unit of pressure in this paper maybe Pa/(m/s2) then eq.1 and 15 become D-W pressure loss form for eq.1 and bernoulli's total head form for eq15
Yes, you're right. Equation 15 is just Bernoulli's equation so it should look like this:
187d6853e6b3183e324fadb92b51735a.png

(above is from Wikipedia)[/PLAIN]
So equation 15 is missing g in the denominator where it has P/p (pressure / density).
Note also that g in this equation really IS the acceleration due to gravity, not gc, the constant used in imperial units.

Last edited by a moderator:
keng said:
Another question, Is it ok to solve velocity from the set of equation in this document with known of pressure (dP) and pipe dimension (L, D)

I’ve done on calculation as attach below
Is it correct to use D-W and Colebrook this way?
I've gone over your work and I agree you've done this correctly. I have a program that does this using imperial measurements and I come up with similar values to what you've calculated with the exception of the friction factor. For friction factor, I have 0.0195. I have a proprietary equation that I believe is more accurate than the Colebrook equation but I wouldn't expect you to accept that. I would suggest however that you try the Moody diagram and see what value of f you get. I would also recommend reviewing the explicit equations provided at eng-tips for other equations for friction factor.
http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1236

Q_Goest said:
I've gone over your work and I agree you've done this correctly. I have a program that does this using imperial measurements and I come up with similar values to what you've calculated with the exception of the friction factor. For friction factor, I have 0.0195. I have a proprietary equation that I believe is more accurate than the Colebrook equation but I wouldn't expect you to accept that. I would suggest however that you try the Moody diagram and see what value of f you get. I would also recommend reviewing the explicit equations provided at eng-tips for other equations for friction factor.
http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1236

my problem can't use moody diagram directly because unknow of velocity and also Re.
but I've try the explicit equation from your link by substitute f and Re with the their velocity relation(f=121.067/v2 and Re=10765.5v from my previous calculation)to the equation and then trial and error to find v. The result is Moody Eq.f=0.0118,Churchill Eq.f=0.01218 and Serghides Eq.f=0.012157

How did u get f=0.0195 ?

If the straight pipe is replace by pipe in attachment below, can i calculate new length like that and then do the same as previous in cal1?

Attachments

• serpentine.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 410
keng said:
How did u get f=0.0195 ?
My mistake. I had the surface roughness for pipe as an input instead of drawn tube. When I put in drawn tube I get a friction factor of 0.0121.
keng said:
If the straight pipe is replace by pipe in attachment below, can i calculate new length like that and then do the same as previous in cal1?
Yes. You just calculate an equivalent length of pipe as you've done and use that in your equation for pressure drop as you did in cal1. Well done! :smile:

In English units, gc is equal to 32 (lbf/lbm)ft/sec2

An older equation that gives a pretty good approximation to the friction factor as a function of Re is

f = 0.0791/Re0.8

Maybe this can give you a good first approximation to your solution.

1. What is Pipe-Flo Pro and how does it work?

Pipe-Flo Pro is a software program used for designing, analyzing, and simulating fluid flow systems. It uses mathematical models and calculations to accurately predict the behavior of the system and help engineers make informed decisions about the design and operation of their pipelines.

2. How can Pipe-Flo Pro benefit my project or company?

Pipe-Flo Pro can provide valuable insights and data that can help optimize your fluid flow system, reduce costs, and increase efficiency. It can also help identify potential issues or bottlenecks in the system before they become major problems.

3. What kind of information do I need to input into Pipe-Flo Pro?

In order to use Pipe-Flo Pro effectively, you will need to input data such as pipe sizes, flow rates, fluid properties, and equipment specifications. This information can be obtained from engineering drawings, equipment manuals, or physical measurements.

4. Are there any limitations to Pipe-Flo Pro?

While Pipe-Flo Pro is a powerful tool, it is important to note that it is not a substitute for proper engineering practices and judgment. It is also limited by the accuracy and completeness of the input data, so it is important to ensure that all necessary information is included for the most accurate results.

5. Is Pipe-Flo Pro user-friendly and easy to learn?

Pipe-Flo Pro has a user-friendly interface and offers a variety of tutorials and resources for users to learn how to use the software effectively. However, like any new tool, it may take some time and practice to become proficient in using it. It is recommended to attend training courses or consult with experienced users for assistance.