How can the parallax method be used to determine the distance of a star?

• Thread starter snafu
  • Start date
In summary, ~~The high school junior in an Astrophysics class reporting in has a question about the equation in the subject line. The equation was in their textbook, but with almost no explanation whatsoever. They were told to find out those things themselves, so they've been looking online and haven't found an answer. They're worried they're doing it wrong and want some help.
snafu
Hey, high school junior in an AP-level Astrophysics class reporting in... I have a short question about the equation in the subject line.

This equation was in my textbook, but with almost no explanation whatsoever. Yes, it explained how to apply the equation, but not where it comes from, why it works, how it is derived, etc. So, my teacher wants us for homework to find out those things. I've googled and looked everywhere I have to look, but I can't find a proper explanation. I'm worried I'm going about this the wrong way... Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, for distance you would use trig. The parallax is how many degrees an object seems to move against an infinate background while you the observer change your position between 2 points (called baseline).

For example, if you observed a tree against a distant mountain range and you found that the tree moved 1 degree when you moved 5 meters, you could approximate this with a right triangle and say that d = 5 / tan(1) or d = 5 / sin(1). You get the same answer (~286 meters is your distance to the tree) since the angle is small and your side adjacent to the angle is almost the same length as the hyponeneuse of your triangle.

When looking at stars the angle is also small. In fact, it is much smaller and rarely exceeds 1/3600 of a degree called an arcsecond.

The Earth moves in its orbit. The diameter of its orbit is 2 AU (1 AU = average distance of Earth to Sun). But we can not view most stars 6 months apart, when the Earth has moved 2 AU because the star is in the daytime sky during one of those periods. So we use 1 AU as the standard base line for computing distance.

That would make our formula distance = 1 AU / sin(parallax) or 1 AU / tan(parallax). But since the angles are extremely small when looking at stars,
we can simplify the math and get rid of the trig if we invent a new unit of distance called the parsec. Parsec stands for Parallax Arcsecond.

A parsec is defined as the distance at which the parallax equals 1 arcsecond.

So in distance = 1 AU / parallax (in arcseconds), and the distance comes out in our new unit: Parsecs.

The following Web Sites supplement previous msg and summarize the parallax method. Web Site #1 diagrams the 6 month parallax technique and illustrates the difference in viewing angle ("parallax") over 6 months of the same nearby star against background of distant stars.

Web Site #2 provides mathematical details of the parallax method. It shows how d=(1/Parallax) is the star's Distance in PARSECS when "Parallax" is measured in Arc-Seconds, and is the star's Distance in AU ("Astronomical Units") when "Parallax" is measured in Radians. It also provides example calculations.

Web Site #3 summarizes parallax quantities. Finally, Web Site #4 is an animated, interactive demonstration of parallax. It requires time to load, and you should read instructions at bottom of page. (Star's distance from Earth can be changed using mouse. Hopefully it'll work on your browser.). Good Luck!

URL #1 ---> http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~capstick/AST1002/Chapter8/parallax.gif
URL #2 ---> http://www.rgcl3.com/a20p/parallax_2.htm
URL #3 ---> http://wwwhip.obspm.fr/hipparcos/SandT/images/parallax.jpg
URL #4 ---> http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/astro101/java/parallax/parallax.html

~~

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the meaning of the equation "Distance = 1/parallax"?

The equation "Distance = 1/parallax" is used to calculate the distance to an object in space based on its parallax angle. Parallax is the apparent shift in the position of an object when viewed from different angles, and the distance to the object can be determined by taking the reciprocal of the parallax angle.

2. How is parallax used to measure the distance to stars?

Astronomers use parallax to measure the distance to stars by observing the change in their positions relative to more distant background stars as the Earth orbits the sun. By measuring the angle of this shift, known as the parallax angle, the distance to the star can be calculated using the equation "Distance = 1/parallax".

3. What is the unit of measurement for parallax?

The unit of measurement for parallax is usually expressed in arcseconds ("). This is because the parallax angle is very small, typically less than 1 degree, and is often measured in fractions of an arcsecond.

4. Can parallax be used to measure the distance to objects other than stars?

Yes, parallax can also be used to measure the distance to other objects in space, such as planets, asteroids, and comets. However, it is most commonly used for measuring the distance to stars due to their extreme distance from Earth.

5. What are the limitations of using parallax to measure distance?

The main limitation of using parallax to measure distance is that it is only accurate for objects within a certain range. Beyond a certain distance, the parallax angle becomes too small to measure accurately. Additionally, atmospheric conditions, instrument precision, and errors in measurement can also affect the accuracy of parallax measurements.