Discussing the Realism of a Moonbase for Mining & Rocket Launches

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of establishing a moon base for mining and production of metals, as well as using the moon as a rocket launch area due to its low gravity. Potential methods for creating artificial gravity and extracting oxygen from the moon's resources are mentioned. However, the conversation also acknowledges the practical challenges and limitations of such a project, including the high cost and difficulty of transporting materials back to Earth. Some forum discussions on this topic are referenced, with the conclusion that while it is an interesting idea, it may not be feasible in the near future. The importance of understanding the current limitations and practicality of the idea is emphasized.
AdrianHudson
I thought this would be a cool kind of topic to put up for discussion.

1)How realistic would a moon base be for mining and production of metals.

2)How realistic would the moon be for a Rocket launch area don't know how to word that. Anyways since the moon has practically no gravity we could end up having an easier time launching stuff.

My input for question one.

Moonbase: This is by far the coolest thing I have been thinking about for a while now, so you could have plastic domes to protect people on the moon from radiation coming from the sun and maybe a centripetal force type of thing spinning around the plastic dome to make some sort of gravity so you don't have the loss of bone density/mass.

The moon is in abundance of metals particularly in oxide form.

Maria Highlands
SiO2. 45.4%. 45.5%
Al2O3 14.9%. 24.0%
CaO 11.8% 15.9%
(iron(II) FeO)14.1% 5.9%
MgO. 9.2%. 7.5%
TiO2 3.9% 0.6%
Na2O 0.6% 0.6%
Total 99.9% 100.0%

You could split the oxygen from the metals, and then(be weary here my chemistry isn't that up to snuff) but you will be left with a metal and gas oxygen which can be used for an oxidizer for rockets and then there is water on the moon which allows for electrolysis to be split into hydrogen and more oxygen !

Why this Is important, well you could provide the domes with air and also produce rocket fuel on the moon! I will post the second part just want to see if I'm crazy or if the stuff I'm saying is technically feasible. Discuss ! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the kinda willy nilly post. I get way to excited when talking about this stuff and I kinda just throw out a bunch of ideas and stuff haha. :)

Do a forum search. I'm sure this has been discussed before and in practical terms, it a useless concept.

The fundamental problem is getting in and out of Earth's gravitation well. Even if you went to the STAGGERING expense of setting up such a base and producing metals getting them back to Earth would cost more than they were worth.

phinds said:
Do a forum search. I'm sure this has been discussed before and in practical terms, it a useless concept.

The fundamental problem is getting in and out of Earth's gravitation well. Even if you went to the STAGGERING expense of setting up such a base and producing metals getting them back to Earth would cost more than they were worth.

So its something to not even think about? I don't understand why people would want to go to Mars when we have something a lot more feasible right in our backyard. Honestly if you think about people will always find a way to make something cost less why is this different ?

It is worth thinking about, if you like to think about things that are impractical for the near future. It's not different and yes, we will find ways to make it cheaper, although in terms of making it pay for itself, I'm not sure that will EVER happen. At any rate it won't happen for many decades at the very least and probably longer.

see this thread for an extended discussion and note that it was eventually shut down for being just science fiction

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=544471

and here's another on that was only about setting up an observatory on the moon and this thread was also closed. No specified reason, but it was clearly because the whole discussion was just a wast of time.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=663297

It's nice to think outside the box, but before you do that you should make sure you understand what's IN the box.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
phinds said:
It is worth thinking about, if you like to think about things that are impractical for the near future. It's not different and yes, we will find ways to make it cheaper, although in terms of making it pay for itself, I'm not sure that will EVER happen. At any rate it won't happen for many decades at the very least and probably longer.

see this thread for an extended discussion and note that it was eventually shut down for being just science fiction

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=544471and here's another on that was only about setting up an observatory on the moon and this thread was also closed. No specified reason, but it was clearly because the whole discussion was just a wast of time.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=663297It's nice to think outside the box, but before you do that you should make sure you understand what's IN the box.

Oh how it sucks to not live in a perfect world, I understand now why this isn't feasible anymore. Feels a lot like dreams being shattered hahah.

The Lunar and Planetary Institute has hosted conferences and workshops on Lunar geology and the possibility of extracting those minerals to support space exploration. NASA has conducted numerous studies regarding the necessary infrastructure and technology to make it feasible.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/surface/

In many scenarios, a lunar base would be built undeground, or in a hill or mountain, in order to shield residents from solar/cosmic radiation. Early exploration would probably be robotic until a base can be established in which an atmosphere is well established, otherwise a base of some kind would have to be 'landed' on the surface.

Rather than using chemical rockets, magnetic (EM) launch systems have been considered, although some chemical/gas rockets may be used for orbital maneuvering.

Astronuc said:
The Lunar and Planetary Institute has hosted conferences and workshops on Lunar geology and the possibility of extracting those minerals to support space exploration. NASA has conducted numerous studies regarding the necessary infrastructure and technology to make it feasible.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/surface/

In many scenarios, a lunar base would be built undeground, or in a hill or mountain, in order to shield residents from solar/cosmic radiation. Early exploration would probably be robotic until a base can be established in which an atmosphere is well established, otherwise a base of some kind would have to be 'landed' on the surface.

Rather than using chemical rockets, magnetic (EM) launch systems have been considered, although some chemical/gas rockets may be used for orbital maneuvering.

Interesting point. Building underground would take away the part of having to build an above ground dome like I was saying. So the technology and stuff is there but obviously one of the deciding factors is still money. Sad really, oh well hopefully in my lifetime they find a way to make it economically viable so that gives em a good 70years(assuming I'm living to 87) let's go team space.

1. What is the current state of technology for building a moonbase for mining and rocket launches?

The technology for building a moonbase for mining and rocket launches is continuously evolving. Currently, we have the capability to send spacecraft and rovers to the moon, but building a permanent base would require advancements in areas such as landing systems, life support systems, and construction materials.

2. Is it economically feasible to build a moonbase for mining and rocket launches?

The economic feasibility of building a moonbase for mining and rocket launches is debatable. While the cost of building such a base would be significant, the resources that could be extracted from the moon, such as water and helium-3, could potentially make it financially viable in the long term.

3. How would a moonbase for mining and rocket launches impact the environment?

Building a moonbase for mining and rocket launches would have minimal environmental impact on the moon itself. However, the process of launching and landing spacecraft could potentially disturb the lunar surface and create debris. Careful planning and implementation would be needed to minimize any negative effects on the environment.

4. What are the potential risks and challenges associated with building a moonbase for mining and rocket launches?

There are several risks and challenges that need to be considered when discussing the realism of a moonbase for mining and rocket launches. Landing on the moon's surface in a precise location, dealing with extreme temperatures and radiation, and maintaining a self-sufficient and sustainable base are just a few of the challenges that need to be addressed.

5. What are the potential benefits of building a moonbase for mining and rocket launches?

Building a moonbase for mining and rocket launches could bring several benefits. It could serve as a stepping stone for further space exploration, provide a platform for scientific research, and potentially create new economic opportunities through the extraction of resources from the moon. It could also act as a backup location for humans in case of a catastrophic event on Earth.