Can you beat the world champion's speed reading record?

• Thread starter Hierophant
  • Start date
In summary: I first took this test yesterday (I think) and scored about 400. Just now I scored 283 :redface:. At this rate, I'll be like a third grader tomorrow. Two days after that I'll be an... eighth grader.
Hierophant
http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/technology-research-centers/ereaders/speed-reader/

This site offers a test so that you can get an estimation of how fast you read!

Apparently the world champion of speed reading can read 4700 wpm, I think that person has a photographic memory or something.

So how fast did you read? I got 200 at first lol, then 450 when I put a bit of pressure on myself. I'd be interested seeing what the smart people of physics forum got.

Have a nice day :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hierophant said:
http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/technology-research-centers/ereaders/speed-reader/

This site offers a test so that you can get an estimation of how fast you read! Apparently the world champion of speed reading can read 4700 wpm, I think that person has a photographic memory or something. So how fast did you read? I got 200 at first lol, then 450 when I put a bit of pressure on myself. I'd be interested seeing what the smart people of physics forum got. Have a nice day :)

I managed to get 785... I don't know how accurate the test is but apparently that's pretty good haha:)

Wow that's awesome! Do you sub-vocalize while you read? Tell me yer secrets!

201. I had to reread many sentences as my English is so weak that they didn't sound grammatically correct sentences while of course they were.
I understood almost nothing of the text. :/

283 per minute, rather slower than if the text had been in Norwegian, I think.

I got 345. Apparently, I'm slower than most people in my grade. :rofl:

Hierophant said:
Wow that's awesome! Do you sub-vocalize while you read? Tell me yer secrets!

Honestly reading quickly comes from reading a lot more often, you start to pick up ways your own ways to read faster( one trick I use that I think works for only me or some other people Is when I'm reading I usually plug in words which I think the author is going to use after another word... Its complicated but it works haha:] ). The only big problem of mine though is when I think of something during reading and it ends up distracting me and I have to reread the page.

A couple tips, read often and be in a quiet environment it helps you focus a lot better and thus helps you read a bit faster.

:) practice, practice, practice that's the key to anything.

Likes 1 person
Mandelbroth said:
I got 345. Apparently, I'm slower than most people in my grade. :rofl:
I got 386 which is apparently slower than most college graduates.

You read 1,548 words per minute.
That makes you 519% faster than the national average.

Hooked on phonics

PhizKid said:
You read 1,548 words per minute.
That makes you 519% faster than the national average.

Hooked on phonics

What in the hell how that's unreal !

You read 832 words per minute.
That makes you 233% faster than the national average.

(I've actually been feeling relatively cognitively impaired of late owing to a chronic condition - a few months back I could've done much better).

I got 261 WPM. I'm as fast as an 8th grader. =)

545 wpm
If you maintained this reading speed, you could read

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy in 17 hours and 58 minutesHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling in 2 hours and 21 minutes

Not true. I can and have read Sorcerer's Stone in 1h 27min. I am getting slower...
EDIT: there seems to be another test after that...1345 wpm alice in the wonderland I have read the page a hundred times.

10 words per minute.

zoobyshoe said:
10 words per minute.

Were these the ones?
  • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
  • Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism
  • Floccinaucinihilipilification
  • Antidisestablishmentarianism
  • Honorificabilitudinitatibus
  • hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian
  • Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
  • Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic
  • Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon
  • deinstitutionalization

You read 312 words per minute.
That makes you 25% faster than the national average.

I could have read more than 100 words if it were not meant for understanding it.

:) Faster than average adults hahah

AdrianHudson said:
Not really. I retook the test. The second time, I got a different result. It happened to be the same passage.

Attachments

• Win.JPG
    Win.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 701
AdrianHudson said:

According to their chart speed readers do 1500 so that's apparently typical for people who practice.

I got 821 but have to admit that I was a little hesitant about the questions they asked me at the end!

Office_Shredder said:
According to their chart speed readers do 1500 so that's apparently typical for people who practice.

I got 821 but have to admit that I was a little hesitant about the questions they asked me at the end!

How do they do it? Like speed readers must just snapshot the page in their mind haha!

So what do different results mean?

Do they have anything to do, for example, with the ability to understand complex abstract theories. to understand complex mathematics??

I first took this test yesterday (I think) and scored about 400. Just now I scored 283 :redface:.

At this rate, I'll be like a third grader tomorrow. Two days after that I'll be an amoeba.

lisab said:
I first took this test yesterday (I think) and scored about 400. Just now I scored 283 :redface:.

At this rate, I'll be like a third grader tomorrow. Two days after that I'll be an amoeba.

Let's face it, life as an amoeba would be pretty frickin cool ;)

AdrianHudson said:

So true, so true :biggrin:.

"You read 370 words per minute.
That makes you 48% faster than the national average."

AdrianHudson said:
Amoebae don't have finals to worry about. :tongue:

236. I paused several times, and re-read a few sentences, trying to understand what the hell I was reading, and to consider to myself how odd the wording was. "The crowd about the pit," "a-screwin' and a screwin' out," etc. Got 2/3 questions. I put "square" instead of "common." Don't they mean more or less the same thing? :tongue:

The wording was very weird. I had to re-read a lot of it since it made no sense. WTH was that?? It was like I was reading some obscure Mark Twain type of hick dialect, which really bothered me. I scored 100% on the three questions. I scored 36% IIRC for speed (368wpm?), which is disappointing but considering the sleep deprivation and drugs, not bad, I guess considering I have mild OCD and need to make sense of things. It made no sense. Eh, I read for pleasure, not for speed.

Evo said:
The wording was very weird. I had to re-read a lot of it since it made no sense. WTH was that?? It was like I was reading some obscure Mark Twain type of hick dialect,

Assuming you took the first test (begins with setting sun and return to the commons) it as H.G. Wells War of The Worlds, the second was Alice in Wonderland (the March Hare is first sighted).

Enigman said:
Assuming you took the first test (begins with setting sun and return to the commons) it as H.G. Wells War of The Worlds, the second was Alice in Wonderland (the March Hare is first sighted).
They couldn't have used normal text? And modern day text? War of the worlds was from 1898. Alice in Wonderland was from 1865. That's ridiculous.

Evo said:
They couldn't have used normal text? And modern day text? War of the worlds was from 1898. Alice in Wonderland was from 1865. That's ridiculous.
Copyright issues perhaps? and they probably wanted a famous text which was easily recognizable...its for marketing of e-readers:
A good book is hard to put down. But if you’re enjoying it on an eReader you eventually have to break and recharge. How many pages can you get through before your battery runs out? How fast can you read classics like The Lord of the Rings or War and Peace? Check your reading speed on this fun interactive infographic and compare it to the national average.

Taken this test before? Change the snippet by clicking on the cog at the top of the eReader.

Enigman said:
Copyright issues perhaps? and they probably wanted a famous text which was easily recognizable...its for marketing of e-readers:
It surely wasn't recognizable.
It was highly confusing and I had to re-read it several times, and gave up getting it.

In other words, it wasn't interesting or enjoyable.

"I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia." (Woody Allen)

Crop your puns Caveat.

lmao that was a wild guess, I'm an average reader