Back Up DVD's to Computer: Program Options

In summary: If you want to keep the original dvd`s, you could always put them in a plastic sleeve and store them in a safe place.
physicsCU
I want to back up DVD's to my computer.

Is there a good all-in-one program that I can rip the dvd from the disc and store it on my hard drive?

I know about DVD Decrypter and AutoGK, but I can't download those for some reason.

I am willing to pay for a program too.

And rest assured, I am only backing the discs up so I can take them on the plane with me.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I assume that you are trying to back up DVD's with audio and video on it right?
I have used Gordian Knot for backing up DVD`s before and always found it pretty good.

Usually the best way to do this is to convert it to AVI (using the DIVX encoder or something similar), as this considerably reduces the size of the video file. A dvd you buy in the shops can be over 8GB so you wouldn`t be able to store too many of them on your computer. But you can encode a 2 hour film to decent quality for less than 1GB. There are a number of good walkthroughs available around the net to show you how to do this (here http://www.rita.lt/guides/GKnot_DVDtoAVI.htm is one I used). This process is pretty time consuming though (about 2xRealtime for my computer).

You can just rip the VOB`s off the dvd directly on to your computer. But, as I said this will make them pretty big, and I`m not sure if there`s a decent player for this. You could use smartripper for this (This is included in the Gordian Knot package)

Incidently, if you want to watch them on the plane, I think most airlines allow you to play cd's and dvd's on them, as long as it's not during takeoff/landing.

hope this helps,

PS

Last edited by a moderator:

There are several programs available that can help you back up your DVD's to your computer. One popular option is Handbrake, which is a free and open-source program that allows you to rip DVD's and convert them to various digital formats. Another option is WinX DVD Ripper, which offers a free trial and then a one-time purchase fee for the full version. Both of these programs have a user-friendly interface and can help you easily back up your DVD's onto your computer. Just make sure to check the terms of use for any program you choose to ensure that it is legal to use for personal backups. Happy ripping!

1. Can I use any program to back up my DVDs to my computer?

Yes, there are various programs available for backing up DVDs to your computer. Some popular options include Handbrake, WinX DVD Ripper, and MakeMKV.

2. Do these programs support all types of DVDs?

Most programs are able to back up standard DVDs, but not all of them support Blu-ray discs. It is important to check the program's specifications to see if it supports the type of DVD you want to back up.

3. Will the quality of the backup be the same as the original DVD?

The quality of the backup will depend on the program and settings you choose. Some programs offer options to compress the video to save space, while others allow for a full backup with no loss of quality.

4. Is it legal to back up my DVDs to my computer?

In most countries, it is legal to make a backup copy of a DVD that you own for personal use. However, it is important to check your local laws to ensure that you are not violating any copyright laws.

5. Can I back up multiple DVDs at once using these programs?

Some programs do offer the option to batch process multiple DVDs at once, but it will depend on the program and your computer's capabilities. It is best to check the program's specifications to see if this is a feature.