Calculating Inverse Functions: Example f(x)=2e^2x + 4

In summary, to calculate the inverse function of f(x), switch the x and y variables and solve for y. To graph the inverse function, plot points or reflect points on the original function across the line y = x. The inverse function exists for f(x) if the function is one-to-one, determined by the horizontal line test. To check your answer, plug in values for x and compare outputs. Calculators can be used, but it is important to understand the manual steps.
brandon26
Could someone please explain to me how to work out the inverse function of a function?
Please use the format f(x)=2e^2x + 4 as an example, if possible.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
brandon26 said:
Could someone please explain to me how to work out the inverse function of a function?
Please use the format f(x)=2e^2x + 4 as an example, if possible.
thanks
Try switching the roles of x and y and solve for y again, where f(x) = y of course.

Sure, I'd be happy to explain how to calculate the inverse function of a given function. In this case, the given function is f(x)=2e^2x + 4.

To find the inverse function, we first need to switch the roles of x and y in the equation. This means that we will have y=2e^2x + 4 instead of x=2e^2y + 4.

Next, we need to isolate y on one side of the equation. In this case, we can subtract 4 from both sides to get y-4=2e^2x.

Then, we can divide both sides by 2e^2 to get y-4/2e^2=x.

Now, we have the inverse function in the form of y=f^-1(x) and we can replace y with f^-1(x) to get f^-1(x)=(x-4)/2e^2.

This is the inverse function of f(x)=2e^2x + 4. To check if this is correct, we can plug in a value for x and see if we get the original value of y.

For example, if we plug in x=2, we get f^-1(2)=(2-4)/2e^2=-2/2e^2=-1/e^2. And if we plug in y=-1/e^2 into the original function, we get f(-1/e^2)=2e^2(-1/e^2)+4=2-4=-2, which is the original value of y.

Therefore, we have successfully calculated the inverse function of f(x)=2e^2x + 4 to be f^-1(x)=(x-4)/2e^2. I hope this explanation helps!

1. How do I calculate the inverse function of f(x)?

To calculate the inverse function of f(x), you will first need to switch the x and y variables in the function. This will give you the equation x = 2e^2y + 4. Then, solve for y by isolating it on one side of the equation. This will give you the inverse function, which is y = ln((x-4)/2e^2).

2. How do I graph the inverse function of f(x)?

To graph the inverse function of f(x), you can plot points by choosing values for x and using the inverse function to calculate the corresponding y values. You can also plot the inverse function by reflecting the points on the original function f(x) across the line y = x. This will give you the graph of the inverse function.

3. How do I know if the inverse function exists for f(x)?

The inverse function exists for f(x) if the function is one-to-one, meaning that each input (x value) has a unique output (y value). You can determine if a function is one-to-one by using the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, the function is not one-to-one and the inverse function does not exist.

4. How do I check my answer when calculating the inverse function?

To check your answer, you can plug in values for x into both the original function and the calculated inverse function. The output (y value) from the inverse function should be the same as the input (x value) for the original function. If this is not the case, then your calculation for the inverse function may be incorrect.

5. Can I use a calculator to calculate the inverse function?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate the inverse function. Most scientific calculators have a function to find the inverse of a given function. However, it is important to double check your answer and understand the steps involved in calculating the inverse function manually.