New Orleans Police Beating Caught on Tape (VIDEO)

• News
  • Thread starter Rabid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, according to CNN, an advertisement for a career in the police force is a better opener than the footage of a white cop beating a black man. The officer in the video should be fired, and all the cops in the video should be kicked out of the force.
Rabid
For those of you without TV/cable:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/09/taped.beatings.ap/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't surprise me...I just wish more the police were video taped more often...

Southern hospitality? :biggrin:

Bad boys, bad boys... Whata going do, whata going do when they come for you...

Looks like typical "Cops" footage to me!

Well, the video I got was a commercial in which Paul Bunyan steals a truck. Good detective work, CNN!

I saw this last night. How many times does Davis have his head pummelled into the wall?!? Nasty stuff.

"Defillo said race was not an issue."

Seriously... how often to white cops needlessly beat the cr@p out of white guys in America?

"Our police officers are working under some very trying times," Defillo said. "So it's a difficult time, but it doesn't excuse what our jobs are supposed to be."

Doesn't excuse what our jobs are supposed to be? Is he saying the very job description of a New Orleans cop is inexcusable? Maybe 'beat up black guys (but not because they're black)' is what cops are for after all. If so, they're very well trained.

Regardless of what the 64! YEAR! OLD! MAN! did it didn't warrant the treatment he got. Besides, if 3 policemen cannot restrain an elderly man like that then they don't deserve to be policemen. The nazi that threatened the AP guy should lose his job as well. The whole punching and intimidation BS should get them suspension at the very least. Can you tell I don't have a "warm & fuzzy" for law enforcement? I don't give a flying wha-evuh about the hours they have been working or what hardships they have think they've had...I just don't care. IT'S YOUR JOB MORON. If the reporter would have tried to get away from the buffoon to keep from winding up on the car he would have been manhandled and arrested as well. I could tell you stories about the academy I worked for, it lasted about a month, where during exams the students are allowed to go to the restroom and lo-and-behold there are notebooks(!) that are just lying around. How about being pulled over by students for practice and not knowing its a drill because they didn't fell it was necessary to inform the employees because they wanted real life situations. Or how about finding more guns during an inventory than are on a property records and reporting it only to find those property records missing the next day. How about contracting for alterations to real property but only 5k and below per contract at a time to keep from having to report to the state comptroller. I have absolutely no love for them, sorry, especially since the courts have said time after time that it's not their job to defend us as citizens. With VERY few exceptions I find them to be the lowest common denominator. Isn't there an old saying that it takes a crook to catch a crook?

Rednecks will be rednecks

loseyourname said:
Well, the video I got was a commercial in which Paul Bunyan steals a truck. Good detective work, CNN!
you have to wait until after the advertisement.. it starts afterwards...:biggrin:

Smurf said:
you have to wait until after the advertisement.. it starts afterwards...:biggrin:
An advertisement for a career in the police force... THAT would have been a better opener.

Stacey Koon could be the spokesperson.

as said above, if 3 officers can't take a guy down without beating him like that and another officer on a horse to try to obstruct a video taping of the thing, i think its time to raise standerds for the police force. police like this should be shot by lightning or spontaniously combust or something.

all the cops in the video should be kicked out of the force at the vary least, if not for beating the guy, then for letting the guy get beat. kick them out and everyone who looks like them.

also, has anyone heard of a police officer being fired for exesive use for force without there being a video tape of it?

1. What happened in the New Orleans police beating caught on tape?

The New Orleans police beating caught on tape shows two police officers repeatedly punching and kicking a man who is lying on the ground. The man, identified as Jorge Gomez, was suspected of being involved in a drug deal and was chased by police before being apprehended and beaten.

2. When did the New Orleans police beating take place?

The incident took place on January 19, 2021, in the French Quarter of New Orleans. The video of the incident was released to the public on April 8, 2021.

3. Were the officers involved in the New Orleans police beating disciplined?

Yes, the two officers involved in the beating, Spencer Sutton and John Galman, were arrested and charged with simple battery and malfeasance in office. They were also fired from the New Orleans Police Department.

4. Has the victim of the New Orleans police beating spoken out about the incident?

Yes, Jorge Gomez has spoken out about the incident, stating that he was scared for his life and that he did not resist the officers. He suffered multiple injuries, including a broken nose and fractured ribs, as a result of the beating.

5. What is being done to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future?

The New Orleans Police Department has implemented new policies and training to prevent excessive use of force by officers. The city has also agreed to a consent decree with the Department of Justice to address issues of police misconduct and reform the department's practices.