Are Wormholes Real? Exploring the Possibility of Shortcuts in the Universe

In summary, wormholes are a theoretical possibility that have not yet been proven to exist. It is possible that they act as shortcuts for some other destinations in the universe, but there is no observational evidence for this. The possibility of man creating wormholes is an area of active research.
2rashmi1993
wormholes...a mystery or not!

do wormholes actually exists?
if yes, then, is it true that they act as shortcuts for some other destinations in the universe?
and lastly can man himself create them!?.....all a mystery 4 me!

Space news on Phys.org

There is no physical evidence, it's just a theory, but one that can exist. I believe it was Sergei Krasnikov who has done some calculations based on Einsteins "Theory of Relativity" to kind of prove they exist.

These are worth a read, although WIKI is not certified.

Any reasonable theory of quantum gravity will allow closed universes to branch off from our nearly flat region of spacetime. I describe the possible quantum states of these closed universes. They correspond to wormholes which connect two asymptotically Euclidean regions, or two parts of the same asymptotically Euclidean region. I calculate the influence of these wormholes on ordinary quantum fields at low energies in the asymptotic region. This can be represented by adding effective interactions in flat spacetime which create or annihilate closed universes containing certain numbers of particles. The effective interactions are small except for closed universes containing scalar particles in the spatially homogeneous mode. If these scalar interactions are not reduced by sypersymmetry, it may be that any scalar particles we observe would have to be bound states of particles of higher spin, such as the pion. An observer in the asymptotically flat region would not be able to measure the quantum state of closed universes that branched off. He would therefore have to sum over all possibilities for the closed universes. This would mean that the final state would appear to be a mixed quantum state, rather than a pure quantum state.

http://prd.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v37/i4/p904_1"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole"

Last edited by a moderator:

everything is just a theory!
an idea is that if the universe was shaped like a U tipped 90 degrees horizontally, then a little rip on one side could attach it self onto the over and create a wormhole, but thiss is highly unilikely, depending on a lot of things. This is only a theory, but not one i perticularly like :)

2rashmi1993 said:
if yes, then, is it true that they act as shortcuts for some other destinations in the universe?
From what I understand, nobody has yet produced a viable model for a wormhole that can actually allow matter to pass through it. The problem is that the wormhole works as long as you use only "test particles" that have no mass and do not disturb the gravitational potential. But once you actually start using real objects with mass, even a very small mass, that small mass is big enough to collapse the worm hole.

Do you think it's possible that wormholes connect universes? I always thought that maybe that's what they did. But I dunno.

2rashmi1993 said:

As others have said, there is no observational evidence for the existence of wormholes.
2rashmi1993 said:
Pcrouse said:
Do you think it's possible that wormholes connect universes? I always thought that maybe that's what they did. But I dunno.

If they exist, thiese are theoretical possibilities.
2rashmi1993 said:

This is not a practical possibility, but the theoretical possibility of this is an area of active research. A stable wormhole requires "exotic" matter to hold it open, and exotic matter is such that some observers measure its density to be negative. There are some hints from quantum theory that exotic matter is theoretically possible, but not everyone agrees on how much is needed to hold a wormhole open, how much is possible, etc.

The papers that stimulated much interest and many papers are M. S. Morris and K. S. Thorne, “Wormholes in spacetime and their use for interstellar travel: A tool for teaching General Relativity”, Am. J. Phys. 56, 395 (1988), and M. S. Morris, K. S. Thorne, and U. Yurtsever, "Wormholes, Time Machines, and the Weak Energy Condition". Physical Review Letters 61, 1446–1449 (1988).

thanxall ...
shall definitely go through all the links n books suggested by u all.
astronomy is like a black hole of interest! don't u all agree.:-)

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel or shortcut in space-time that connects two distant points in the universe.

2. Are wormholes real or just a science fiction concept?

Wormholes are currently a theoretical concept in physics, but there is ongoing research and debate about their existence and potential properties.

3. How are wormholes different from black holes?

While both wormholes and black holes involve extreme bending of space-time, wormholes are theorized to have two distinct openings whereas black holes have only one.

4. Can wormholes be used for time travel?

Some theories suggest that wormholes could potentially allow for time travel, but there is currently no evidence or practical means of achieving this.

5. Is there any evidence of wormholes in the universe?

As of now, there is no confirmed observational evidence of wormholes in the universe. However, some phenomena in space, such as quasars and gamma-ray bursts, have been theorized to be potential indicators of wormholes.