R134-a Tables Use T or P?

• Thread starter bagofmilk
  • Start date
In summary: SI units.In summary, when using the Saturated R134-a tables, both temperature and pressure need to be used to set the state of the fluid. The intersection of the two property lines on the T-S or P-V diagram can be used to find the state. In a refrigeration system, the compressor compresses saturated vapor rather than liquid, so it is important to use the saturated vapor properties. In the given problem, the rounding error caused R-134a to not be technically saturated at -24 C and 100 kPa, so it is best to use temperature to find the properties. The mass flow rate can be found by dividing the flow rate by the specific volume in the vapor
bagofmilk
R134-a Tables Use T or P??

Using the Saturated R134-a tables, I'm a little confused as to when I should look up values according to temperature or pressure.

In this particular problem:
Refrigerant-134a enters a compressor at 100kPa and -24ºC with a flow rate of 1.35 cfm and leaves at 800kPa and 60ºC. Determine the mass flow rate of R-134a and the power input to the compressor.

The equations I plan to use are: mdot = Q/v. And I think that to find power I can use
P = mdot * (u2 - u1)

The problem is that I don't know if I should look at the values according to T1=-24C or P1 = 100kPa (same for T2). Can anyone shed any light on this?

Engineering news on Phys.org

You need two properies to set the state of the fluid, so you need to use both temperature and pressure. In order to set the state, you have to find the intersection of two property lines that intersect somewhere in the T_S or P_V diagram; in your case for state (1) you can find the intersection of the T=-24 C line (or near to it) and 100 kPa line.

Once you've set the state, you would follow an isentropic line up to the higher pressure and this would give you State (2) (the intersection of an isentropic line through state (1) and the 800 kPa line). You have both temperature and pressure for state (2), which means you'll also be able to find the compressor's efficiency if state (2) is not isentropic w.r.t. state (1).

Mech_Engineer said:
You need two properies to set the state of the fluid, so you need to use both temperature and pressure. In order to set the state, you have to find the intersection of two property lines that intersect somewhere in the T_S or P_V diagram; in your case for state (1) you can find the intersection of the T=-24 C line (or near to it) and 100 kPa line.

Once you've set the state, you would follow an isentropic line up to the higher pressure and this would give you State (2) (the intersection of an isentropic line through state (1) and the 800 kPa line). You have both temperature and pressure for state (2), which means you'll also be able to find the compressor's efficiency if state (2) is not isentropic w.r.t. state (1).

I see what you mean when you say to find the intersection of T and P. It makes sense. But we are only given the tables. Would I have to interpolate the two values (vf @ T=-24C and vf @ P=100kPa)?

Also, when you say follow the isentropic line - would I use the liquid or vapor entropy value?

Ah, sorry I missed that you are using saturation tables. In the case of saturated fluid, the saturation state is technically the second property setting the state of your fluid. In a refrigeration system, the compressor compresses vapor rather than liquid (liquid would be a pump, and not a refrigeration cycle), so I would say you you need to look at saturated vapor properties.

In the case of R-134a, saturated vapor/liquid at -24 C is at 1.1160 bar (111.6 kPa) so you can really look up properties using either value, I'm guessing there was some rounding error in the problem statement because R-134a at -24 C and 100 kPa is not techically saturated fluid any more. I wouldn't bother interpolating, just use temperature.

Mech_Engineer said:
Ah, sorry I missed that you are using saturation tables. In the case of saturated fluid, the saturation state is technically the second property setting the state of your fluid. In a refrigeration system, the compressor compresses vapor rather than liquid (liquid would be a pump, and not a refrigeration cycle), so I would say you you need to look at saturated vapor properties.

In the case of R-134a, saturated vapor/liquid at -24 C is at 1.1160 bar (111.6 kPa) so you can really look up properties using either value, I'm guessing there was some rounding error in the problem statement because R-134a at -24 C and 100 kPa is not techically saturated fluid any more. I wouldn't bother interpolating, just use temperature.

Awesome! Thanks. Also, just to double check - I can find mdot by using:
mdot = Flow Rate / (Specific Volume-vapor stage 1), correct?

Correct, and you can see it in a units analysis:

Flow rate (SI): m^3/s
Specific Volume: m^3/kg

(Flow Rate) / (Specific Volume) = kg/s

1. What is R134-a?

R134-a is a type of refrigerant used in air conditioning and refrigeration systems. It is a non-ozone depleting substance and is commonly used as a replacement for other refrigerants.

2. What do the tables for R134-a use T or P for?

The tables for R134-a use T (temperature) or P (pressure) to determine the properties of the refrigerant. These properties include the boiling point, density, and specific heat capacity.

3. How do I read the R134-a tables?

To read the R134-a tables, you will need to know the temperature or pressure of the refrigerant and refer to the corresponding table. Then, you can find the values for properties such as enthalpy, entropy, and specific volume at that specific temperature or pressure.

4. Why is it important to use the correct R134-a table?

Using the correct R134-a table is essential for accurately determining the properties of the refrigerant at a given temperature or pressure. If the wrong table is used, the values may be incorrect, leading to potential errors and complications in the system.

5. Are there different R134-a tables for different applications?

Yes, there are different R134-a tables for different applications. For example, there are separate tables for air conditioning and refrigeration systems, as well as tables for different pressure and temperature ranges. It is important to use the appropriate table for your specific application.