How to Get Good At Problem-Solving ?

In summary: Have a friend or family member help you with the harder problems. They will be able to give you feedback on your work and give you a "second opinion" that you may not have considered.5. Practice, practice, practice. The more you try, the better you will get.In summary, the author struggled with challenging problems in calculus and did not know how to practice for these problems. He suggests that people practice solving problems, have a friend or family member help, and figure out what the question is asking.
soccer123
Hey guys I am taking a calculus course that is mainly on computation, no proofs. For the most part the computation is easy, but I struggle to solve "challenging" problems and I don't know how to practice for these problems.

An example is I will attempt a solution to the problem but get no where even close in getting the answer. It seems no matter how long I sit and stare at the problem it's impossible to solve, unless I look at the solutions manual.

That's the problem. I don't want to reference the solutions manual to "hard" problems because come exam time, there will be some "hard" problems and I want to be able to tackle them with ease.

Are there any tips to being able to solve these challenging problems? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your book have any "word" problems and applications problems? Work on more or many of those kinds. Your book must have a few of these; otherwise, look for another book which does have many of these word and applications problems.

You also need to try to solve the example exercises yourself. Do what you can as much as you can before looking at any of the solution of any example. Any GOOD Calculus book will have a few example exercises in each section.

People improve at problem-solving through other courses such as Physics and Chemistry. In those courses, symbolic mathematical conceptual exercises are not the goal, but applications problem solving for the particular subject are the goal.

Solve lots of problems. Lots of them. The more experience you get, the easier solving problems will be. (The problems, of course, may still be hard, but you'll be able to tackle them because you've built up a toolbox of approaches to use against various kinds of problems).

Looking at the solution manual isn't bad - sometimes there's a trick that maybe you wouldn't have thought of otherwise - but you don't want to ween yourself off of looking at the solutions. To this end, it really helps if you have someone to discuss problems with. Bouncing ideas on how to solve problems off other people really helps you think about things from different angles and gives you new insights. Plus, if a book uses a trick, it might not explain it, whereas your friend can.

soccer123 said:
Hey guys I am taking a calculus course that is mainly on computation, no proofs. For the most part the computation is easy, but I struggle to solve "challenging" problems and I don't know how to practice for these problems.

An example is I will attempt a solution to the problem but get no where even close in getting the answer. It seems no matter how long I sit and stare at the problem it's impossible to solve, unless I look at the solutions manual.

That's the problem. I don't want to reference the solutions manual to "hard" problems because come exam time, there will be some "hard" problems and I want to be able to tackle them with ease.

Are there any tips to being able to solve these challenging problems? Thanks.

1. Figure out exactly what the question is asking (i.e. what exactly you have to show/find).
2. Figure out what in the problem relates to something you studied (example: if you studied differentiation a whole chapter and you received a basic optimization problem- you need to figure out how the problem applies to what you studied. In this case, you need to find the local max of a function).
3. Apply the concept and be happy when you get the problem right

1. What is problem-solving?

Problem-solving is the process of finding solutions to complex or difficult issues or challenges. It involves identifying the problem, gathering information, analyzing potential solutions, and implementing the best course of action.

2. What are some strategies for improving problem-solving skills?

Some strategies for improving problem-solving skills include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, brainstorming potential solutions, seeking advice from others, and practicing trial-and-error.

3. How can I become more creative in problem-solving?

To become more creative in problem-solving, try approaching the problem from different perspectives, using different techniques (such as brainstorming or mind mapping), and allowing yourself to think outside the box. It can also be helpful to expose yourself to new experiences and ideas to broaden your thinking.

4. How can I stay calm and focused while problem-solving?

To stay calm and focused while problem-solving, it can be helpful to take breaks and step away from the problem for a moment. Deep breathing and mindfulness techniques can also help to reduce stress and increase focus. Additionally, having a plan or structure in place can help to keep you on track and prevent feeling overwhelmed.

5. Can problem-solving skills be learned?

Yes, problem-solving skills can be learned and improved upon. By practicing different problem-solving techniques and strategies, and actively seeking out challenges and opportunities to problem-solve, you can strengthen your problem-solving abilities. It is also important to reflect on your problem-solving process and identify areas for improvement.