How to determine elements based on received frequency from Space?

In summary, the conversation is about determining elements based on received frequency from Space, specifically water (H2O). The participants suggest using spectroscopy and provide a reference library link. They also discuss searching for specific frequencies to monitor for the presence of H2O on Mars.
junk0
I would like to know on how to determine the elements based on received frequency from Space?
Such as water H2O
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find the reference materials?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Space news on Phys.org
Spectroscopy! Search on Google or Wiki for it and you should find loads of info.

Drakkith said:
Spectroscopy! Search on Google or Wiki for it and you should find loads of info.

It is hard to find any referrence library to search elements based on Spectroscopy, I find nothing with the first 2 pages of Google search.

I would like to know what the elements are on specific frequency of electromagnetic wave.

Does anyone have any suggested reference link? so I can look into it.

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

I found the following site, it seems to have a LOT of results. I typed in 4500-4600 for the wavelength range and it gave me about 500 results.

http://www.pa.uky.edu/~peter/atomic/

Drakkith said:
I found the following site, it seems to have a LOT of results. I typed in 4500-4600 for the wavelength range and it gave me about 500 results.

http://www.pa.uky.edu/~peter/atomic/

Thanks you very very much, it is a very good reference library

I get one question, if I would like to know whether H2O is present on Mars or not, what frequency should I monitor from Space?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Last edited:

1. What are the different methods used to determine elements based on received frequency from space?

There are several methods used by scientists to determine elements based on received frequency from space, including spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.

2. How does spectroscopy help in determining elements from space?

Spectroscopy involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by an object, which can provide information about its chemical composition. By comparing the frequency of light emitted from an object to known spectra of elements, scientists can identify the elements present.

3. Can mass spectrometry be used to determine elements from space?

Yes, mass spectrometry is a powerful technique for determining the elemental composition of a sample. It works by ionizing the atoms or molecules in a sample and then separating them based on their mass-to-charge ratio, allowing scientists to identify the elements present.

4. How is NMR spectroscopy used in determining elements from space?

NMR spectroscopy involves applying a magnetic field to a sample, causing the nuclei of certain elements to resonate at specific frequencies. By analyzing these frequencies, scientists can identify the elements present in a sample.

5. What are some challenges in determining elements from space using received frequency?

One of the main challenges in determining elements from space is the low signal-to-noise ratio of the received frequencies, which can make it difficult to distinguish between different elements. Additionally, there may be interference from other sources, such as cosmic rays, that can affect the accuracy of the results.