Register to reply

What would the products of photolysis degredation of PET plastic be?

Share this thread:
lostminty
Oct22-13, 04:47 AM
P: 77
Interested in this because plastic drinking bottles have a taint to them when left out in the sun. I gather its from UV degredation of the PET plastic.

I'd like to find a catalyst that would allow the PET byproducts to be non water soluble/sequester or even evaporate.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
Celebrating 100 years of crystallography
Turning waste from rice, parsley and other foods into biodegradable plastic
Astronuc
Oct22-13, 06:04 AM
Admin
P: 21,865
Quote Quote by lostminty View Post
Interested in this because plastic drinking bottles have a taint to them when left out in the sun. I gather its from UV degredation of the PET plastic.

I'd like to find a catalyst that would allow the PET byproducts to be non water soluble/sequester or even evaporate.
One has to balance that degradation against the desire for non-leaching of the plastic into the contents and long shelf life.

The exterior surface could be less critical than the interior surface, but it's difficult to treat the interior in a bottle given the geometry.

Here's some research on PET and UV.
Physico-chemical modifications of the DBD and UV irradiation treatments on the PET and PET+TiO2 films
http://134.147.160.41/ispcdocs/ispc1...Papers/497.pdf

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultravi...ments_and_dyes

Register to reply