Analyzing a Multi-storey multi-bay frame subjected to lateral load

In summary, the best and easiest method to get the deflections of a 5-storey, 3-bay frame subjected to lateral loads only is to use the finite element method. This involves using a finite element analysis computer program instead of manually setting up the stiffness matrix. However, if the goal is to learn how the finite element method works, then working through the details manually is necessary. It is important to ensure that all connections are moment connections and that all applied loads are nodal loads rather than uniformly-distributed loads. It is unclear what the "Elemental stiffness matrix for two-dimensional frame analysis" method is, but it may refer to the finite element method. The speaker suggests that the method used by the listener is correct,
median27
What is the best/easiest method I can use to get the deflections of a 5-storey, 3-bay frame subjected to lateral loads only? I've used the Elemental stiffness matrix for two-dimensional frame analysis (giving me a 60 x 60 matrix) but I'm getting the wrong deflection values. I think my procedure is erroneous because I've only referred to a single storey, single bay frame example in the book. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The method you used is OK, so you must have made a mistake somewhere.

The "easiest" way is use a finite element analysis computer program instead of setting setting up the stiffness matrix yourself - but if the objective is to learn how the FE method works, not to design a building, then you do need to work through the details yourself.

median27: I am not sure what the "Elemental stiffness matrix for two-dimensional frame analysis" method is, unless it is just the finite element method. The best and easiest method is the finite element method. Are all of your connections moment connections? Are all of your applied loads nodal applied loads, not uniformly-distributed loads? Do you have a finite element analysis software program? Is this a school assignment, or test question?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of analyzing a multi-storey multi-bay frame subjected to lateral load?

The purpose of analyzing a multi-storey multi-bay frame subjected to lateral load is to determine the structural integrity and stability of the frame under such loading conditions. This analysis helps engineers and architects in designing safe and efficient structures.

2. What are the main factors considered in this type of analysis?

The main factors considered in analyzing a multi-storey multi-bay frame subjected to lateral load include the material properties, loading conditions, geometry and shape of the frame, and the support conditions. These factors affect the overall behavior and response of the frame under lateral loads.

3. How is the lateral load applied to the frame during the analysis?

The lateral load is usually applied at the top of the frame, simulating the effects of wind or earthquake forces. The magnitude and direction of the load are based on the design codes and standards for the specific location and type of structure.

4. What methods are commonly used in analyzing a multi-storey multi-bay frame subjected to lateral load?

Two commonly used methods in this type of analysis are the Finite Element Method (FEM) and the Equivalent Lateral Force (ELF) method. FEM involves dividing the frame into smaller elements and solving for the displacement and stress distribution, while ELF method simplifies the analysis by considering the frame as a single degree of freedom system.

5. What are the possible outcomes of the analysis?

The analysis can result in one of the following outcomes: 1) the frame is safe and meets the design requirements, 2) the frame needs some modifications to improve its stability and strength, or 3) the frame is deemed unsafe and requires significant changes to ensure its structural integrity.