Register to reply

Violation of entropy?

by SarcasticSully
Tags: entropy, violation
Share this thread:
SarcasticSully
Mar30-14, 08:36 PM
P: 13
Ok so entropy cannot be destroyed, right? So let's say you have a reaction that decreases entropy (s<0) but it also is exothermic (h<0) and that overpowers the entropy decrease so it is spontaneous (ie h-ts=g<0). If that happens, where does the entropy go?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
Celebrating 100 years of crystallography
Turning waste from rice, parsley and other foods into biodegradable plastic
Simon Bridge
Mar30-14, 09:20 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,750
If that is a closed system, then you have just described a net increase in entropy.
Possibly it is the imprecise use of words that is confusing you - or you are pulling my leg.
Redo the description, and describe it more carefully.
russ_watters
Mar30-14, 09:40 PM
Mentor
P: 22,283
"destroyed" is an odd term to use here: entropy is energy. It doesn't get destroyed, it gets counted. And I don't think it is possible for a negative entropy reaction to be exothermic. Do you have any examples?

Borek
Mar31-14, 02:30 AM
Admin
P: 23,533
Violation of entropy?

If I put glass of water into the fridge it will "spontaneously" freeze. This process is both exothermic and has a decreasing entropy. But it so blatantly obvious where the entropy "goes" I am not even going to mention it.

Register to reply