Preferential treatment for certain memebers, special treatment for others?

• Thread starter ONJ's Noble Steed
  • Start date
In summary, the board has a "special" treatment for certain members and "special" punishment for others.
ONJ's Noble Steed
Preferential treatment for certain memebers, "special" treatment for others?

I have been around here for a while, and what I've noticed is that certain members not only get away with EXTREMELY sexually suggestive posts, but said posts generate much lively discussion. In contrast, when a similar topic is posted by a newbie, it is immediately deleted and, if the poster is lucky, he gets a second chance. A second "violation" is likely to entail a swift ban. Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
No you're not. But if you're either dedicated, paying, helpful, knowledgeable, have lots of ribbons and/or awards then of course you would get more respect or a second chance.
Heh, I remember one post I had when I did something really stupid. :redface: :frown: Sorry PF of that which I love.

If you honestly feel any violation has been committed, you might want to get a bit more specific than that. There isn't much we can do with such a general allegation.

Just to remind everyone, if you find a post that you feel violates the guidelines, report it. It's the exclamation point button in the lower left-hand corner of the post.

Ok, great, this post was moved to the feedback forum, which means no one will even read it now.

If you want me to get more specific, I can. There's this one well respected person here, tribdog, who keeps making posts such as "sorry if I start humping your leg," or something like that, and constantly and strongly suggesting that he wants to get it on with Evo. Another popular female on these boards always gets away with posts about sex and masturbation. But, apparently, if a newbie guy makes a post about masturbation, he gets banned.

Last edited:
Go find the posts and report them. They'll be sent to the mentor forum and we'll evaluate them. Also, you can't just post something where the most people will see it. We have separate sections for a reason. GD isn't 'everything goes,' it's 'everything that doesn't fit anywhere else.'

loseyourname said:
Go find the posts and report them. They'll be sent to the mentor forum and we'll evaluate them.
HAHAHA! Evo IS a mentor. The mentors actually facilitate rather than discurage the discussions which I mentioned.

Evo isn't the only mentor, ONJ. If you honestly think a violation has been committed, all you can do is report the posts. I'm sorry, but there isn't anything else you can do. If you have a problem with a given mentor action, you can PM that mentor and ask for a clarification of why they did what they did, but this seems like your complaint is with lack of mentor action. I'm trying to help you here.

Just to note, this thread is hanging by a thread (pun intended). According to our Forum Guidelines, posting a thread in the feedback forum asking about a general policy is fine, but if you're going to get into a specific action, you have to either report the post or PM a mentor. Open discussion of these is not allowed and the thread will have to be closed.

REPORT THE POST!

There is a reason why the "Report Bad Post" function is there, and available to EVERYONE.Zz.

ONJ's Noble Steed said:
HAHAHA! Evo IS a mentor. The mentors actually facilitate rather than discurage the discussions which I mentioned.

If this is about a specific thread and a specific poster (whether mentor or not), report it or discuss it via PM. If you find something a mentor says or does is offensive, please let us know. We are all human and make mistakes too. If we genuinely made a mistake, we do correct it.

ONJ's Noble Steed said:
If you want me to get more specific, I can. There's this one well respected person here, tribdog, who keeps making posts such as "sorry if I start humping your leg," or something like that, and constantly and strongly suggesting that he wants to get it on with Evo.
If you've paid attention, I've edited and/or deleted a number of his posts. If you are offended, report it and it will be removed if it is out of line.

Another popular female on these boards always gets away with posts about sex and masturbation.
That member has stopped making posts of this nature and her threads on those subjects were long before I was mentor here.

But, apparently, if a newbie guy makes a post about masturbation, he gets banned.
I'm guessing I may have warned or banned you previously?

Last edited:
If one of my friends in real life said something suggestive and sexual in a jocular manner to me, I'd laugh.

If a stranger came up to me and said something similar, I'd probably think that they're a bit of a weirdo, and in need of some ignoring.

Same thing happens here. Deal with it.

ONJ's Noble Steed said:
There's this one well respected person here, tribdog...

Someone respects tribdog? :confused:

ONJ's Noble Steed said:
Ok, great, this post was moved to the feedback forum, which means no one will even read it now.
That seems a somewhat spurious comment since one seems to be directing this comment and the OP primarily at the administration and mentors, and this would be the appropriate forum in which to make such a statement. And indeed it seems to have received appropriate attention from the moderators.

Nobody gets preferential treatment. However, someone who has been a member for a while has some experience with staff, so there may be more latitude.

I can certainly confirm that Evo and other mentors have deleted some off-color posts, including some by tribdog and others.

As loseyourname and others have indicated, one can PM the admins and mentors if there is a particularly offensive post.

Also, if one does not like the context of "sorry if I start humping your leg," one is certainly free not to read it.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. :smile:

Okay folks, we're not going to discuss a specific member and specific posts here. We've already provided the instructions of how this member can address their concerns via PM or the Report Post feature. Case closed.

1. What is preferential treatment?

Preferential treatment is the act of giving special advantages, privileges, or benefits to certain members or groups of people. This can include things like hiring, promotions, and access to resources.

2. Why do some people receive preferential treatment?

There are several reasons why certain people may receive preferential treatment. This can be due to factors such as their race, gender, social status, or personal connections. In some cases, it may also be based on their skills, qualifications, or contributions.

3. Is preferential treatment fair?

The concept of fairness is subjective and can vary depending on individual beliefs and values. However, preferential treatment can be seen as unfair when it is based on factors that are out of an individual's control, such as their race or gender, rather than their abilities or qualifications.

4. How does preferential treatment affect society?

Preferential treatment can have both positive and negative effects on society. On one hand, it can create a more diverse and inclusive environment, promoting equality and representation. On the other hand, it can also perpetuate inequalities and create a sense of resentment or unfairness among those who do not receive preferential treatment.

5. What can be done to address preferential treatment?

To address preferential treatment, it is important to identify and acknowledge its existence, as well as the underlying factors that contribute to it. This can include implementing policies and practices that promote fairness and equal opportunities for all individuals, and actively working towards creating a more inclusive and diverse society.