Concerning Significant Figures.

In summary, the conversation was about two questions regarding significant figures. The first question was about expressing a calculation in scientific notation and whether it can be written without decimals. The second question was about rounding off a final answer to the correct number of significant figures. There was also a discussion about the use of negative signs and exponents in scientific notation and the potential for confusion. It was suggested to clarify with the teacher and possibly introduce a convention for writing scientific notation by hand.
Mozart
Hello
I have 2 questions about sig figs that have been bothering me.

I worked out this calculation: (3.652 x 108) (42.8 x 10-6)

My answer was 67524.0192. I figured that since there is a 6 in the second parenthesis my answer should be only 1 sig fig. So I expressed it as 7 x 10^4 Can you even write scientific notaion like that without any decimals? It seems odd.

Another problem I have concerns rounding off. If for instance I have my final answer as 3.5673 and I have to use only 3 sig figs do I round from the 6 and change my answer to 3.60 or do I round from the 7 and change my answer to 3.56?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number in the second set of parentheses has 3 significant digits. You don't count the exponent.

Oh that's not an exponent. It does look like one though. It's (42.8 x 10 minus 6) and I just realized how I messed up the order of operations in my calculation. The result should be 166443.552 so would it be 2 x 10^5?

If I attempt your calculation
[tex](3.652 \times 10^8)(42.8 \times 10^{-6})[/tex]
I get
[tex]15630.56[/tex]
?

Mozart said:
Oh that's not an exponent. It does look like one though. It's (42.8 x 10 minus 6) and I just realized how I messed up the order of operations in my calculation. The result should be 166443.552 so would it be 2 x 10^5?

Unless you are talking about 42.8 x10 - 6= 428- 6= 422, that "-6" certainly is an exponent!

As Andrevdh said,
[tex](3.652 \times 10^8)(42.8 \times 10^{-6})=15630.56[/tex]
Since 42.8 x 10-6 has 3 significant figures, that would be written as 15600 or, better, 1.56 x 104.

Now I am not sure if it is an exponent or not because the teacher wrote it out exactly like this on the paper she distributed. (42.8 x 10-6)

I don't know why she would do that. She usually always has it as a superscript, and this is just smack in the middle.

In another question I noticed that she wrote something like (6.32 x 102 - 15.73) There is a space between each side of te negative sign. Is it a mathematical convention or something to recognize say 42.3 x 10-3 in which the 3 is an exponent unless spaces are put between the - sign?

Mozart said:
Now I am not sure if it is an exponent or not because the teacher wrote it out exactly like this on the paper she distributed. (42.8 x 10-6)

I don't know why she would do that. She usually always has it as a superscript, and this is just smack in the middle.

I *think* that she meant it as an exponent. Normally, one writes powers of 10 as a superscript, you are right. But as a teacher myself, I have sometimes resorted to writing shorthand expressions in my typed assignments because it is a pain in the neck to enter equations in Word. But I personally would write 42.8 x 10^-6 to indicate that it's an exponent. But I have seen people writing 10-6 simply (others write E-6). However, it is rare that people write numbers with two digits before the decimal point when using scientific notation, i.e. people would usually write 4.28 x 10^-5, but it is just a convention.

So my bet would be that she meant a power of 10. In that case that number has 3 sig figs.

In another question I noticed that she wrote something like (6.32 x 102 - 15.73) There is a space between each side of te negative sign. Is it a mathematical convention or something to recognize say 42.3 x 10-3 in which the 3 is an exponent unless spaces are put between the - sign?

No, she probably meant there (6.32 x 102) - 15.73... No exponent!

The rule is that *usually*, when you see 10 followed by minus or plus a number (with one or two digits), it means scientific notation.

Hope this helps

Pat

Yup I'm convinced its an exponent now. Thanks for clearing this up guys.

It is best to clear it up with your teacher - make her aware of the problem, and possibly retrain her by reminding her ever now and then of the ambiguity. have sympathy for the situation though since us humans do not have the capabilities of modern day technology in this respect. If I could make a suggestion, maybe a convention should be introduced in order to avoid this confusion when us humans write by hand for e.g. [itex]3.30 \times 10^6[/itex] shoud be written as
[tex]3.30 \times 10\ \bar 6[/tex]
for superscript parts of a numerical value and [itex]\hat v[/itex] for vectors.

Last edited:

1. What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that hold meaning and contribute to its precision. They are important because they help us convey the accuracy and reliability of our measurements and calculations.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The rules for determining significant figures include: all non-zero digits are significant, zeros between non-zero digits are significant, and trailing zeros after a decimal point are significant. Leading zeros are not significant unless there is a decimal point present.

3. Can I round off a number to a certain number of significant figures?

Yes, you can round off a number to a certain number of significant figures by following the rules for significant figures. The last significant digit should be rounded up if the digit after it is 5 or higher, and left unchanged if the digit after it is 4 or lower.

4. How do significant figures affect mathematical operations?

In mathematical operations, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures. For addition and subtraction, the result should be rounded to the least number of decimal places. For multiplication and division, the result should be rounded to the least number of significant figures.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rules for significant figures?

There are a few exceptions to the rules for significant figures, such as exact numbers (such as counting numbers) and conversion factors. In these cases, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the original number. Additionally, for logarithms and antilogarithms, the number of digits to the right of the decimal point should be equal to the number of significant figures in the original number.