Are SUVs Putting Our National Security at Risk?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Even while still at 10,000 feet and on approach to the airport, one can see that SUVs make up a significant percentage of personal vehicles; something near 30% I'd bet. The trend for bigger and bigger SUVs has resulted in a class of SUVs that violates some local load limit laws. If there were enough police to worry about such trivial matters, quite a few owners of Ford Expeditions, et al, would be shocked to be banned from the street they live on.In summary, SUV ownership is on the rise, but this is causing some issues with local load limit laws. There are some good SUVs on the market, but the trend is towards bigger and bigger vehicles.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Even while still at 10,000 feet and on approach to the airport, one can see that SUVs make up a significant percentage of personal vehicles; something near 30% I'd bet.

This goes right to the heart of national security. SUV owners who don't really need such a large vehicle should all be ashamed of themselves for being so selfish and self-indulgent.

And I get tired of having my life put at greater risk due to the unfair match between my energy freindly vehicles, and all of the monster SUVs on the road.

This is simply unacceptable. Something must be done.

Physics news on Phys.org
The SUV fad is dying off. What angers me is that the post office put the mailbox up on a platform so it's at window height for SUV's. I have to open my car door and stand up to reach the damn mail slot. :grumpy:

I don't know Evo, they all looked pretty new to me.

3.00 a gallon is nothing when you make 150K.

Two things that could done: First, classify SUVs in a manner similar to full sized trucks. Limit them to the right lane on the freeway, and 55 MPH as a max speed. Then, impose a luxury tax on all SUVs not needed for legitimate business use.

Last edited:
Evo said:
The SUV fad is dying off. What angers me is that the post office put the mailbox up on a platform so it's at window height for SUV's. I have to open my car door and stand up to reach the damn mail slot. :grumpy:
I had to install my mail box, which had to be move so a new water line could be put in. Then I had to firm up the ground because the postman's truck would get stuck in the mud where the trench for the new pipeline went. And the repair to the driveway (which was brand new of 3 weeks), which had to be dug up, was cheap and minimal quality. We get to pay for the water line whether we use it or not.

BTW - San Diego is the Beamer capital of the US! Evo would be at home there. :biggrin:

Most of my colleagues in SD drive sedans, but two have SUV's, although one of those two prefers to drive his BMW Z3.

Ivan Seeking said:
Two things that could done: First, classify SUVs in a manner similar to full sized trucks. Limit them to the right lane on the freeway, and 55 MPH as a max speed. Then, impose a luxury tax on all SUVs not needed for legitimate business use.
One thing that could be done would be to hold them to the same fuel efficiency standards as passenger cars.

The second is to increase registration and licensing fees for vehicles over 6,000 lbs - a fee that could be offset by a tax break for commercial users.

The trend for bigger and bigger SUVs has resulted in a class of SUVs that violates some local load limit laws. If there were enough police to worry about such trivial matters, quite a few owners of Ford Expeditions, et al, would be shocked to be banned from the street they live on.

Even being a Jeep fan, I can't like the trend in SUVs. The off-road performance of some pretty good SUVs, such as the Blazer and Bronco, have slowly been de-emphasized in order to appeal to the suburban market. Even the Jeeps have gotten bigger and bigger. They now need to add a new class to recover the size range of the old Cherokees. (This has been bugging me, since I'm going to have to replace my '91 pretty soon - I think I'm going to go all the way to the Wrangler instead of trying to find a compromise in fun/utility.)

Hummer's (GM) stopped production of the H1 due to poor sales. And there are some SUVs in the market that are not terrible in terms of fuel efficiency.

But ultimately, it's up to the government to realize what's in it's best long-term interest and act accordingly. So long as it continues to provide tax incentives for buying SUVs, there will be people who will take it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what fraction of SUV's are bought under such programs?

Griping About Gas Prices ... in a New SUV
Crisis? What crisis? Fuel use rises, Escalade sales soar.

By Keith Naughton
Newsweek

May 22, 2006 issue - With all the histrionics about rising gas prices coming out of Washington these days, SUVs must be an endangered species in our nation's capital, right? Well, not exactly. At Capitol Cadillac, just inside the Beltway, SUVs are flying off the lot. Last week, former White House chief of staff Andy Card dropped by to pick up a new SRX, Caddy's midsize SUV, says dealer Daniel Jobe. But Jobe's hottest seller, by far, is the newly redesigned chrome-encrusted Cadillac Escalade, an incredible hulk that gets 13mpg in the city. "My biggest problem is not gas prices," says Jobe, "it's getting enough of these trucks."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12777854/site/newsweek/

You'd think the "haves" (money) would be concerned about becoming the "have nots" (fuel) just the same -- They do know petroleum is not an infinite resource, don't they? It doesn't matter if you can afford it or not when it's gone. I won't bother asking about the environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before people are jusified in sneering at others for energy using lifestyles I believe they should get off the power grid themselves and live in a cabin with heat from any green source (sun, wind, whatever - no combustion). If you show you are clean, and obeying Kyoto where you are planted, then perhaps you have room to sit in judgement on your fellows, but not before.

selfAdjoint said:
Before people are jusified in sneering at others for energy using lifestyles I believe they should get off the power grid themselves and live in a cabin with heat from any green source (sun, wind, whatever - no combustion). If you show you are clean, and obeying Kyoto where you are planted, then perhaps you have room to sit in judgement on your fellows, but not before.
I agree one shouldn't sneer. However, each person should try to do their best -- recycling, purchasing energy efficient homes, automobiles, appliances, use green sources if/when able, etc. But to say people must be completely off the grid before pointing out ways to conserve is unrealistic and defeatist.

selfAdjoint said:

Tsu and I are probably carbon neutral - or nearly so. :tongue:

At least we try to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. First and foremost, we don't buy gas hogs just to impress the neighbors.

Also, as a person who chooses to be responsible and drive a relatively efficient vehicle, SUVs and trucks pose an increased threat to my life every time I drive on the highway.

Last edited:
If we can't even do the easy things, surely we will never do the hard things.

Could you elaborate on what it means to be "carbon neutral" and how you have achieved that?

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know Evo, they all looked pretty new to me.

3.00 a gallon is nothing when you make 150K.

I beg to differ.

Ivan Seeking said:

And what about my family with six people, four kids, 3 people over six feet (up until I moved out). What do you suggest we all squeeze into?

Ivan Seeking said:
First and foremost, we don't buy gas hogs just to impress the neighbors.

Get off your pedestal and stop trying to pass judgement on people you don't even know.

Pics of my SUV (Ford Expedition). I call it The Beast, sometimes The Maroon Baboon.
Bet you hate seeing http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/PaidVacation/SUVfront2.jpg" in your rearview mirror. I sometimes dim the lights at stoplights out of consideration for those in front of me who don't want to be blinded.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/PaidVacation/SUVside.jpg"
The http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/PaidVacation/PAspeaker.jpg" for my PA system, which is broken:frown:
My dashboard http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/PaidVacation/Piggy.jpg"
My haggard http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/PaidVacation/jackball.jpg"

It now costs me around $70-80 to fill up! Me and my roommate contribute about $20 a week to gas:frown: I didn't buy the car either, my mom passed it down to me on my 17th birthday. It was useful because I had a people in my carpool to take to and from school, but then again any car could've done this. It is good for transporting my bed, furniture, clothes, etc whenever I move, which I've done frequently with dorm changes for the school year and new apartments. I also went on a lot of trips that required 6-7 seats during my freshman/sophomore year. I have gotten compliments on my ability to drive it which is cool. I've become an expert in parallel parking too! I could use my bike to get to school, but I'd probably have an asmtha attack because I'm so out of shape. I'd also have to get up earlier, which I hate doing. In fact, I drove to class sometimes even when I lived on campus. Hopefully, I'll be getting a civic hybrid this summer so I can continue my bad driving behavior with less consequences:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Also, as a person who chooses to be responsible and drive a relatively efficient vehicle, SUVs and trucks pose an increased threat to my life every time I drive on the highway.

I always keep that in mind when I drive my car, especially since I live right next to a junior high school and a high school. I just think about what I could possibly say if I hit anybody. "I'd wish I'd been more careful," so I am. I'm also a little worried about getting another car because of this. I feel much safer in my SUV than I do in smaller cars. btw franz, you could always get a volvo station wagon. It has 7 seats, with those cool backwards facing seats. We had one when I was growing up, and we'd make faces at the people behind us. Always fun because the parents couldn't see what you were doing, or even reach you:tongue2: I hear volvo's are pretty safe, too.

In the newest cars with the absolute best safety features, you usually make it out similar to the truck/SUV, however your car is totaled :(

russ_watters said:
Could you elaborate on what it means to be "carbon neutral" and how you have achieved that?

Since we have chosen to maintain our land rather than make a fortune building condos, we get to claim a little credit for the mass of CO2 stored in the many tons of growth added to the property each year.

franznietzsche said:
I beg to differ.

It is for me.

And what about my family with six people, four kids, 3 people over six feet (up until I moved out). What do you suggest we all squeeze into?

What did we ever do before SUVs? We used a station wagon that got 20+ MPG. It was the best available at the time.

Get off your pedestal and stop trying to pass judgement on people you don't even know.

Sorry, but as long as the human race faces possible extinction by its own doing, I intend to continue complaining for the sake of those four kids of yours.

Last edited:
Also, if you think second hand smoke is dangerous, try 4000 Lbs of SUV coming at you while driving a Honda Accord.

I've flown into just about every major airport in the US, but I have never seen anything like the glut of SUVs seen in SD. However, note that I also allowed that some people have legitimate needs.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Sorry, but as long as the human race faces possible extinction by its own doing, I intend to continue complaining for the sake of those four kids of yours.

As a side note, they're my 3 siblings and I.

Further, you may think $3.0 gallons is nothing, but you've never had to drive 300 miles per day on your own ticket while working.

1. What is the connection between SUVs and national security?

The connection between SUVs and national security lies in their impact on the environment and energy dependence. SUVs are known for their low fuel efficiency, which contributes to the emission of greenhouse gases and exacerbates climate change. This, in turn, can lead to more frequent and severe natural disasters, which can have detrimental effects on national security.

2. How do SUVs contribute to energy dependence?

SUVs are larger and heavier than traditional cars, which means they require more fuel to operate. This increased fuel consumption puts a strain on the country's energy resources and can lead to dependence on foreign sources of oil. This dependence can have negative implications for national security, as it can make the country vulnerable to disruptions in the global oil market.

3. Are there any security risks specifically related to SUVs?

While SUVs themselves may not pose a direct security risk, their impact on the environment and energy dependence can have indirect implications for national security. For example, extreme weather events caused by climate change can damage critical infrastructure and disrupt supply chains, which can have a cascading effect on national security.

4. Are there any efforts being made to address the connection between SUVs and national security?

Yes, there are various efforts being made to address the impact of SUVs on national security. This includes government policies and regulations aimed at promoting fuel-efficient vehicles and reducing emissions, as well as investments in alternative energy sources. Additionally, some car manufacturers are also developing more fuel-efficient SUV models.

5. What can individuals do to help mitigate the impact of SUVs on national security?

Individuals can make a difference by choosing to drive more fuel-efficient vehicles, carpooling or using public transportation, and supporting policies and initiatives that promote sustainable transportation. Additionally, reducing overall energy consumption and supporting the development of renewable energy sources can also help mitigate the impact of SUVs on national security.