Need Help Choosing a 3rd year Math Course

• Courses
  • Thread starter rad0786
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Year
In summary, Algebra is better for the GREs because it has more from group theory and is a standard undergraduate class. Stochastic processes is a fun class, but is harder for applied math.
rad0786
So here is the situation:

I'm starting my third year this September in Applied Math..and I have to decide between 2 different math courses...

1. Algebra 1
An introduction to group theory, including Sylow theorems and structure of finitely generated Abelian groups; applications of group theory.

2. STOCHASTIC PROCESSES
Random walk, Markov chains, discrete and continuous parameter Markov processes, branching processes, birth and death processes, queuing processes.

Which one would be more usefull when it comes to applying for Graduate School? Which one is easier? What are the applications of Algebra vs Stochastic processes?

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra is better because the math GRE would cover more from group theory than stochastic processes. Plus, Algebra is a standard undergraduate calss the graduate committees like to see (at least I would think that's the case).

the algebra course material is brialliantly described in crystal clear fashion and undying prose, in my web notes, downloadable for free as we speak.

but i wouldn't know a stochastic process from a ricci curvature.

Thanks you guys

Mathwonk: i took a look at your notes, that's good stuff..

I still don't know which course too choose yet though..

stochastic processes is a damn fun class, very very interesting stuff. i love applied math, ie, learning pure mathematics with all the rigor and then applying it to our world.

Algebra by far. Group theory is the foundation of so many interesting and beautiful parts of mathematics; plus, as mentioned before, it will help you more on the GREs.

So is STOCHASTIC PROCESSES generally an easy course?

For applied math, I'd go for the stochastics class, but isn't abstract algebra is a required course?

depends on what you plan to do..if you plan to do anything related to simulations & modelling Stochastics would be the better course to take. All those things in that list esp. Markov Chains are useful.

But if you want to take a course for the GREs(which I'm guessing is only american) than go with what others have said.

I would think abstract algebra would be the easier of teh two courses. But that's me personally because I don't understand Statistics that well.

What are the available 3rd year math courses?

The available 3rd year math courses vary depending on the university or institution. Some common options include linear algebra, abstract algebra, real analysis, differential equations, and discrete mathematics. It is important to consult your academic advisor or course catalog to see which courses are offered at your institution.

What factors should I consider when choosing a 3rd year math course?

When choosing a 3rd year math course, it is important to consider your academic goals, interests, and future career plans. You should also consider any prerequisites or corequisites for the course, as well as the level of difficulty and workload.

How do I know if a 3rd year math course is right for me?

To determine if a 3rd year math course is right for you, it is important to research the course content and syllabus. You should also talk to your academic advisor or other students who have taken the course to get a better understanding of the expectations and difficulty level.

What are some tips for successfully choosing a 3rd year math course?

Some tips for successfully choosing a 3rd year math course include carefully reviewing the course description and prerequisites, seeking advice from your academic advisor or professors, and considering your own strengths and interests. It is also helpful to read reviews or talk to other students who have taken the course.

Can I change my mind about a 3rd year math course after enrolling?

In most cases, you can change your mind about a 3rd year math course after enrolling. However, there may be deadlines or restrictions set by your institution. It is important to check with your academic advisor or registrar's office for the proper procedures and deadlines for changing courses.