Prove a function is not analytic but it is smooth

In summary, the given function f(x) is continuous and has derivatives in the form of a sum of a rational function and an exponential. To show that it is C-infinity smooth, we can use the product rule and the fact that exponentials grow faster than any polynomial. However, it is not analytic as its derivatives approach zero times infinity, which is undefined.
Valhalla
given

[tex] f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}e^{-x^{-2}},& \mbox{ if } x!=0 \\ 0, \mbox{ if } x=0 \end{array}\right [/tex]

show that the function is C-infinity smooth but not analytic

What I have done so far (besides verify that it is continuous) is examine the first few derivatives I found they are in the form of a sum of a rational function of [tex] \frac{c}{x^n} [/tex] (where c is some number) times the exponential function. I now need to show that all these derivatives right hand and left hand limit equal 0. So I stated the nth derivative could be composed of the sum of some rational function times the exponential. Then the limit of this function is equal to the product of the limit of the two functions. I get zero times infinity. Is this a legal move? Can I say that zero times infinity is zero?

let [tex] p(x)=\frac{c}{x^n} \ \ q(x)=e^{-x^{-2}} [/tex]

then [tex] \lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow0}} p(x)q(x) = \lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow0}} p(x) *\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow0}} q(x) [/tex]
I want to use that to show that the derivative will always be continuous. Therefore it will be C infinity smooth. Then I am going to do a power series expansion of the exponential and work on figuring out why it isn't analytic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the substitution y=1/x and change the limit to y-> infinity.

I tried the substitution

I get p(x)=c*y^n and q(x)= e^(-y^2)

which when I take the product of the limits as y goes to infinity I still have infinity times zero. Am I allowed to say that infinity times zero is zero?

Well, obviously you need to take the limit. Exponentials grow faster than any polynomial.

What is the difference between analytic and smooth functions?

An analytic function is one that can be represented by a convergent power series, meaning it can be approximated at any point by a polynomial function. A smooth function, on the other hand, is one that has derivatives of all orders and is continuously differentiable. In other words, an analytic function is a special case of a smooth function.

How can you prove that a function is not analytic?

A common way to prove that a function is not analytic is by showing that it does not have a convergent power series representation. This can be done by looking for points of discontinuity or singularities in the function or by demonstrating that the function cannot be expressed as a polynomial or other known analytic functions.

Can a function be smooth but not analytic?

Yes, a function can be smooth but not analytic. This means that the function has derivatives of all orders and is continuously differentiable, but it cannot be represented by a convergent power series. An example of such a function is the absolute value function.

How can you determine if a function is smooth?

A function is smooth if it has derivatives of all orders and is continuously differentiable. To determine this, you can take the derivatives of the function and check if they exist and are continuous at every point in the domain.

What are some real-life examples of smooth but not analytic functions?

Some real-life examples of smooth but not analytic functions include the absolute value function, the signum function, and the floor and ceiling functions. These functions have discontinuities or singularities that prevent them from being represented by a convergent power series. They are still smooth because they have derivatives of all orders and are continuously differentiable everywhere else in their domains.