Strange Sensation starting to fall asleep

In summary: Younger? I can't really remember. Sounds louder and more intense? Yes, definitely. It scares me sometimes? Yes, definitely.

it was just a regular doctor, i went in for a physical check up and i told her and she just said not to worry that maybe i was going trough a phase :/

Biology news on Phys.org

zoobyshoe said:
Hi Johanna,

I wanted to ask you what kind of doctor you went to. Was it a neurologist, or just a general practitioner?

Hi Zoobyshoe

it was just a regular family doctor.
i went in for my regular check up and I decided to just speak about the problem.
she just told me not to worry that i was going trough a phase.
but its not a phase, i mean c’on i have beeing experiencing this since i was like 5.

Johanna M. G. said:
it was just a regular doctor, i went in for a physical check up and i told her and she just said not to worry that maybe i was going trough a phase :/

OK.

Explain in more detail what you mean when you say your hands feel fake.

yeah for example it feels fat then skinny as if my fingers were needles or twigs and my skin around it was fake. if i start thinking about it, i start getting it. its really freaky. and scary. as i talk about it i feel like is happening but not strongly. theirs a another website were a lot more people explain it a little better than i dohttp://www.steadyhealth.com/confusing_feelings_on_fingers___thick__and__thin__at_the_same_time__heart_beatin-t149789-0-asc-0.html

zoobyshoe said:
Hi Johanna,

I wanted to ask you what kind of doctor you went to. Was it a neurologist, or just a general practitioner?

zoobyshoe said:
OK.

Explain in more detail what you mean when you say your hands feel fake.

yeah for example it feels fat then skinny as if my fingers were needles or twigs and my skin around it was fake. if i start thinking about it, i start getting it. its really freaky. and scary. as i talk about it i feel like is happening but not strongly. theirs a another website were a lot more people explain it a little better than i dohttp://www.steadyhealth.com/confusing_feelings_on_fingers___thick__and__thin__ at_the_same_time__heart_beatin-t149789-0-asc-0.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Johanna M. G. said:
yeah for example it feels fat then skinny as if my fingers were needles or twigs and my skin around it was fake. if i start thinking about it, i start getting it. its really freaky. and scary. as i talk about it i feel like is happening but not strongly. theirs a another website were a lot more people explain it a little better than i dohttp://www.steadyhealth.com/confusing_feelings_on_fingers___thick__and__thin__at_the_same_time__heart_beatin-t149789-0-asc-0.html
Wow, there were a lot of people with the same thing: all mostly in the hands.

I think the kind of doctor you have to see about this kind of thing is a neurologist. I have the feeling that it's something they will have run into before and have figured out. If all those people on that one site have it, I'd figure there are a lot more, and if it's that common then neurologists will have treated people for it.

What country do you live in?

zoobyshoe said:
Wow, there were a lot of people with the same thing: all mostly in the hands.

I think the kind of doctor you have to see about this kind of thing is a neurologist. I have the feeling that it's something they will have run into before and have figured out. If all those people on that one site have it, I'd figure there are a lot more, and if it's that common then neurologists will have treated people for it.

What country do you live in?

yeah and in this cite i also found the other part of how i start thinking of light/heavy objects. For example a needle holding a mattress up. Usually is needles that roam in my mind. and i found that many people in this cite seem to have tat in their head once this weird sensation starts. I live in the USA

Johanna M. G. said:
yeah and in this cite i also found the other part of how i start thinking of light/heavy objects. For example a needle holding a mattress up. Usually is needles that roam in my mind. and i found that many people in this cite seem to have tat in their head once this weird sensation starts. I live in the USA
OK. What you need to do is get an appointment with a neurologist. A regular doctor isn't going to have heard of anything like this, and you're right: if it's been happening since you were a kid it's obviously not a "phase", whatever the hell that means anyway. These episodes are clearly upsetting you and I think if any kind of doctor knows what they are it will be a neurologist.

zoobyshoe is right, it will be best to make an appointment with a neurologist to discuss your feelings.

This feeling is called macrosomatognosia and microsomatognosia, here is a site that explains it.

http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e27891/e27265/e26585/e43013/e46020/index_en.html"

Hope this helps, personal I enjoy the feeling, though I have had it so intense that it became a bit scary.

I have had this sensation and was trying to describe it to someone today and it's how I ended up here. There are few things however that I had that were not mentioned by anyone and I wanted to know if anybody else had had these symptoms/sensations as well
1 Fingers feeling incredibly thin and everything you touch feels immense followed by the reverse where the fingers feel very fat and everything you touch feels tiny.

2 During the onset of the sensation I have a smell that I can only describe as stale nuts.

All the explanations about denseness are exactly what I felt as well. My whole body was totally absorbed in the sensation and as a kid it used to really scare me.

Likes RachaelLIVE

Interesting, I didn't know this sensation was so popular. It's similar to my momentary feeling that a book or small item is ridiculously massive, not in size, but in some sort of phantom pseudoweight (doesn't feel heavy as in difficult to hold/lift, just incredibly 'massive'. I cannot describe the sensation accurately).
Ie., you can open the cover of the book without physical difficulty, but there is a nonphysical massiveness to the cover that makes it disconcerting to work with, like a sinister rumbling bass sound (perhaps it was a moment of synesthetic hallucination between the sleeping and waking states). As I grew older the frequency of this sensation, as well as hypnogogic sleep paralysis, waned.

Last edited:

It's so reassuring to find others who have experienced this sensation. I'm 24 now but I haven't felt that feeling since I was about 12. That big/small feeling was bizarre and a lonely experience because my parents wouldn't really understand when I ran to them crying about it.

I've also experienced some things that I feel are related to this sensation. It sounds strange but occasionally as a child I would hear this ominous calm male voice when it was quiet. More often than not it seemed like it came from an unplugged radio in my bedroom. I would hear it mostly while I was in bed so I would have to hum loudly to drown it out. It scared me a lot but went away eventually. Ever since then I've feared that I had latent schizophrenia and it would reoccur eventually. I would also sometimes experience a feeling that tiny people were walking on me, and that my fingertips were soft and mushy like foam.

I'm now concluding that perhaps these sensations are just a side affect of our brain development during childhood, but I would be very interested to read more articles about it.

On a side note, there was a night where I took a tab of LSD having no idea what I was getting myself into. All these sensations I experienced as a child engulfed me, albeit with 100 times the intensity and duration. After that night I've never been more thankful to be on this solid plain of reality. I get the feeling that beyond our bodies there is nothing but a swirling sea of hysteria and our brains are sophisticated enough filter out most of it.

There are many manifestation of hypnopompic and hypnagogic hallucinations, and they are quite common. It'a thought that this is often the cause of the "alien abduction" experience of paralysis in bed, lights, and strange figures. For some it's mild, others never experience this, and for some it's quite terrifying. You are certainly not alone in this, and it's not a sign of mental illness or damage

This thread has run its course. We've found out the name for the strange sensation that has been described by the majority of people in this thread, which is macrosomatognosia or it's opposite microsomatognosia. Also known as Alice in Wonderland syndrome. More information can be found here: http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e27891/e27265/e26585/e43013/e46020/index_en.html"

I'm closing the thread, because we don't encourage personal accounts in this forum. If you want to know more about the science behind Alice in Wonderland syndrome, feel free to start a new subject.