Can anyone recommend any popular physics books explaining forces and fields etc?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a guide on mainstream physics that can explain fundamental concepts without complicated mathematical terminology. Recommendations include the textbook "Matter & Interactions" and the "Feynman Lectures on Physics" books, which use clear and interesting explanations. It is also mentioned that understanding mathematical concepts is important in understanding physics, but it is possible to learn the concepts without a deep understanding of the math.
AJH
I have had some success with a recent question on electric fields where people kindly explained the nature of electric fields by analogies without recourse to mathematical terminology. I would be interested to pick up any guide on mainstream physics that would resolve all the obvious why and how questions that arise when you consider the world. I wouldn't mind a detour into the strange world of the uber-small but am far less interested in black holes, the birth and shape of the universe etc.

Any tips would be highly appreciated.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
A textbook that is very popular for "conceptual physics" and "descriptive physics" courses at the college/university level:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805391908/?tag=pfamazon01-20

New copies of the current edition are rather expensive (as are most textbooks), but used copies of earlier editions are much cheaper, and will work just about as well for your purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The books i like the most regarding specifically the conceptual part of physics are the three volumes of "The Feynman Lectures on Physics", written obviously, by Richard P. Feynman. Those books help me a lot understanding the concepts, he explains in a very clear and interesting way, i very much enjoy the reading.
i highly recommend it.

(excuse my english,i missed that class =P )

pd: The volume 1 is about mechanics, radiations and heat; the volume 2 about electromagnetism and matter and de volume 3 is about quantum physics

Last edited:
If you want the best introductory physics textbook, get Matter & Interactions by Ruth Chabay and Bruce Sherwood. It's a two volume set, with the first volume concentrating on modern mechanics and the second volume concentrating on electromagnetic theory. Fields are emphasized HEAVILY in the second volume.

AJH said:
I have had some success with a recent question on electric fields where people kindly explained the nature of electric fields by analogies without recourse to mathematical terminology. I would be interested to pick up any guide on mainstream physics that would resolve all the obvious why and how questions that arise when you consider the world. I wouldn't mind a detour into the strange world of the uber-small but am far less interested in black holes, the birth and shape of the universe etc.

Any tips would be highly appreciated.:smile:

I will second the Feynman lectures books, they are a superb read. That said, they don't work by "analogies" for physical ideas and they do use some mathematics - I personally find that a very misleading thing to do, to do physics by analogy to avoid maths. Physical ideas are very intimately related to mathematical concepts. In fact, many mathematical concepts found their original idea in physical concepts, after which mathematicians distilled away the physical application and kept the abstract mathematical structure. Now, you have a certain liberty in the mathematical sophistication you want to apply, but trying to do *without* it, is like trying to get answers to the conceptual problems in business bookkeeping without wanting to have a recourse to arithmetic.

yes, Feynman uses some mathematics, but to understand the math is not that necessary to understand the concepts underneath it (of course, to really undestand it you have to be familiar with math, I mean, as a first approach to it). Obviously, i recommend you to study math and to learn physics through it. Anyway, this applies to the first and second volumes, since you definately need to comprehend mathematical concepts in order to be able to understand quantum physics (the third volume)

Err..

Any old physics book will work... I mean, physics hasn't changed over the years in reality. Older=cheaper too XD

1. What are some popular physics books that explain forces and fields?

Some popular physics books that explain forces and fields include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, and "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene.

2. Are there any physics books that are suitable for beginners?

Yes, there are many physics books that are suitable for beginners. Some recommendations include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman.

3. What is the best way to understand forces and fields?

The best way to understand forces and fields is to read a variety of books and resources, and to engage in hands-on experiments and activities. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a knowledgeable mentor or take a physics course.

4. How can I apply my understanding of forces and fields in everyday life?

Understanding forces and fields can help you make sense of the world around you and how things work. This knowledge can also be applied in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about forces and fields?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning about forces and fields. Some helpful websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses on physics topics.