Question about cue ball collisions

In summary, to find the angle of the eight ball's motion after the collision, use the conservation of energy and momentum equations, dividing the momentum into x and y axes. You can eliminate some unknowns since one ball was initially stationary and the other only has speed in one axis. Also, you know the angle of impact between the two balls, which allows you to determine the direction of their velocities after the collision.
JamesL
Heres the question:

Assume an elastic collision (ignoring friction and rotational motion).

A cue ball initially moving at 3 m/s strikes a stationary eight ball of the same size and mass. After the collision the cue ball's final speed is 1.4 m/s.

Find the eight ball's angle with respec to the original line of motion of the cue ball.

-------------------

I can't really post a diagram for you guys to see, but the cue ball is a little above the eight ball (from a birds eye view, left to right). So when the collide the eight ball is moving at a downwardish angle (this is the angle i am supposed to find) and the cue ball is moving upwards.

This question kind of threw me off bc in class we are studying work and kinetic energy etc. All of our homework problems have been about that so far. I can't seem to find a way to incorporate those concepts into this problem.

Should it just be done as a conservation of momentum problem?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, use the conservation of both energy and momentum. The only difference is that this time, you need to divide the momentum into two axes, X and Y:

[tex]m_1v_1_x + m_2v_2_x = m_1u_1_x + m_2u_2_x[/tex]
[tex]m_1v_1_y + m_2v_2_y = m_1u_1_y + m_2u_2_y[/tex]

And finally energy:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 = \frac{1}{2}mu_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}mu_2^2[/tex]

You can eliminate a couple of unknowns here, since you know the second ball was initally stationary. You also know that the first ball only have speed in one of the axes. Additionally, I think you also know the angle of impact between the two balls, which means you know the direction of their velocities after the impact. So:

[tex]v = \frac{v_x}{\cos \theta}[/tex]

[tex]v_y = v_x\tan \theta[/tex]

1. What is a cue ball collision?

A cue ball collision refers to the moment when the cue ball in a game of billiards or pool strikes another ball on the table.

2. How are cue ball collisions important in the game?

Cue ball collisions are crucial in determining the direction and force of the other balls on the table, making it an essential aspect of strategy in billiards and pool games.

3. What factors affect cue ball collisions?

The angle of impact, the speed of the cue ball, and the type of material the balls are made of are all factors that can influence a cue ball collision.

4. How do scientists study cue ball collisions?

Scientists use principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to analyze and predict cue ball collisions. They also use advanced technologies like high-speed cameras to capture and analyze the movements of the balls during a collision.

5. Can cue ball collisions be controlled?

While cue ball collisions can be influenced by the player's aim and technique, they cannot be fully controlled due to the unpredictable nature of the game and various external factors.