Mystery of Polynomials: Is Infinity a Constant?

• Thread starter mubashirmansoor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, this strange phenomenon happens when certain polynomials go to infinity as x approaches. This means that when y = x^2, there is a constant term that never approaches infinity.
mubashirmansoor
Isn't this strange!

Hello,

Sometime ago I realized sth strange for most of the polynomials;

For example, [tex]y=x^2[/itex]

if we take f(x+d) as a multiple of f(x), I mean: f(2)/f(1) = 4 hence 4*f(1) = f(2) so 4 is a multiple of f(1). Now;

[tex](x+d)^2/x^2[/itex]​

as x approaches infinity the multiple approaches 1 !
doesn't this means that when y=x^2 and x is an infinitly large number, y reaches a constant term, ie never approaches ininity?

I'll be thankfull for your help. I hope I've been able to express what I really mean.
Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, f(x+d) is not generically a multiple of f(x). (I'm not sure if you were claiming it was). Secondly, whether or not f(x+d) is a multiple of f(x) has nothing to do with anything here, as you can sesnibly talk about f(x+d)/(f(x) anywhere where f(x) is not zero.

Finally, it is obvious that (x+d)^2/x^2 tends to 1, but this does not suggest that x^2 appraches a constant, merely that x^2 "tends to" (x+d)^2 in some sense, which is intuitive and does not in anyway suggest that either function is bounded above.

DeadWolfe said:
Finally, it is obvious that (x+d)^2/x^2 tends to 1, but this does not suggest that x^2 appraches a constant, merely that x^2 "tends to" (x+d)^2 in some sense, which is intuitive and does not in anyway suggest that either function is bounded above.

Well, sorry for my wrong words, but what I really mean is different, note the following for y = x^2:

f(2)/f(1) = 4

f(3)/f(2) = 2.25

f(4)/f(3) = 1.7778

and so on... as we divide these consecutive terms the result approaches 1 and at some point f(x+1) = f(x) where x is extreamly large...

which means y approaches a constant term when x approaches infinity...

This is impossible, so I'm puzzeled... :)

No. There is no point on f(x) = x^2 where f(x+1) = f(x).

As as a limit where x approaches infinity then they are equal, but for any Real value, they are not. Expressing f(x+1) = f(x) differently, you are claiming x^2 + 2x + 1 = x^2 is true for large values of x. Indeed, if it was true, then for large values of x, 2x+1 = 0. Quite false. Just because in the limiting sense the 2x+1 becomes negligible compared to the x^2 does not mean it is not there.

mubashirmansoor:

You can see that
[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \frac{{x^2 + d}}{{x^2 }} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } 1 + d/x^2 = 1[/tex]

Clearly,
[tex]\forall \varepsilon > 0,\;\exists x_0 > 0:\forall x > x_0 ,\;\left| {\frac{{x^2 + d}}{{x^2 }} - 1} \right| < \varepsilon [/tex]
Simply choose [tex]x_0 = \sqrt {\left| d \right|/\varepsilon } [/tex]

What it means is that f(x)= x2 and g(x)= (x+d)2, for fixed d, are of the same "order": x2= o((x+d)2) which was clear to begin with since they are of the same degree.

The ratio of F(n) over F(n+1) is going to be smaller as n increases. This is to be expected. So what? It has no bearing on the nature of the infinitesimal.

After all, just n/(n+1) tends to 1, so does the square. We have [tex]lim\frac{n^2}{(n+1)^2}=lim\frac{n}{n+1}*lim\frac{n}{n+1}\rightarrow1*1=1[/tex].

Geometrically, from the standpoint of the derivative we are talking about a tangent between two points that tends to a ultimate of a single point.

From your standpoint, we are looking at [tex] \frac{F(n+1)-F(n)}{1}=2n+1\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

I take this as a case of wholesale confusion between a constant increase and infinitesimal.

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
No. There is no point on f(x) = x^2 where f(x+1) = f(x).

ohgodicanthelpmyself

let x = -0.5

but I see what you were going for.

Last edited:

1. What are polynomials?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that consist of variables, coefficients, and exponents. They can be written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + c, where a, b, and c are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

2. How are polynomials related to infinity?

Polynomials can have infinite solutions, which means they can continue to be evaluated for an infinite number of values. In the case of polynomials, infinity is often used as a placeholder or representation for a very large number.

3. Is infinity a constant in polynomials?

No, infinity is not a constant in polynomials. In mathematics, a constant is a fixed value that does not change. Infinity, on the other hand, is a concept that represents something without an upper bound or limit.

4. Can polynomials have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, polynomials can have an infinite number of terms. This is because they can continue to be expanded or simplified for any number of variables and exponents, resulting in an infinite number of terms.

5. How can we use polynomials to solve problems involving infinity?

Polynomials can be used to represent and solve problems involving infinity, such as finding the limit of a function as it approaches infinity or evaluating an infinite series. They can also be used to model real-life situations that involve infinite quantities, such as population growth or the distance traveled by a moving object.