Acceleration of hollow sphere rolling down table.

In summary, the problem involves a hollow spherical shell rolling without slipping or sliding down a tilted board. The acceleration can be found using the equation a = r*alpha, and the moment of inertia can be calculated using I=2/3mr^2. The mass has a force pulling it down the incline, and the moment of inertia and friction act in opposite directions to prevent slipping. By setting up the problem and using the equation a = r*alpha, the solution is found to be 9.8sin(35)/(1+2/3). The exact reasoning behind this solution may still be unclear, but the necessary equations and concepts have been used to solve the problem.
Bob Loblaw

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical shell is rolling without slipping or sliding down a board that is tilted at an angle of 35.0° with respect to the horizontal. What is its acceleration?

Homework Equations

I=2/3mr^2

if an object rolls without slipping or sliding:

v = rw

that means that

a = r*alpha

right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I imagine the solution would be something times g sin(35) but I am not sure exactly how to go about solving this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure the moment of inertia is correct.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sphinc.html

Now the mass has a force pulling it down the incline, which is the weight component parallel to the incline. The moment of inertia is resisting that force, and the friction prevents the sphere from slipping, so friction is acting at the radius in the direction opposite the translational motion parallel with the plane of the incline.

v = rw
a = r*alpha

are correct.

Thanks for the help.

I am still a bit murky on this. I know torque=moment of inertia * radial acceleration. I need to find radial acceleration. How can I solve without knowing the torque or the mass of the object? How can I set up the problem in such a way to cancel the mass?

I solved it:

9.8sin(35)/(1+2/3)

I am still not sure why it worked out that way. Any kind soul care to help me understand this a little better?

1. What is the acceleration of a hollow sphere rolling down a table?

The acceleration of a hollow sphere rolling down a table can be calculated using the formula a = (2/3)g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Does the mass of the hollow sphere affect its acceleration?

Yes, the mass of the hollow sphere does affect its acceleration. Heavier spheres will have a greater inertia and therefore require more force to accelerate.

3. How does the diameter of the sphere impact its acceleration?

The diameter of the sphere does not have a significant impact on its acceleration. As long as the sphere is hollow and has a consistent shape, its acceleration will remain the same.

4. What other factors can affect the acceleration of a hollow sphere rolling down a table?

Some other factors that can affect the acceleration of a hollow sphere rolling down a table include any external forces such as friction or air resistance, as well as the surface of the table (smoothness, angle, etc.). These factors may slightly alter the acceleration but the basic formula (a = (2/3)g) will still hold true.

5. How does the acceleration of a hollow sphere rolling down a table compare to that of a solid sphere?

The acceleration of a hollow sphere rolling down a table is the same as that of a solid sphere, as long as they have the same mass and shape. This is due to the fact that the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) is the same for both hollow and solid spheres of the same mass and shape.