Calculus-Analytic-Geometry by George-Simmons

• Thread starter al-mahed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the book "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by George F. Simmons. One person mentions owning the book and liking it, while another person asks for opinions on the book and suggests searching for other calculus books. The book has mostly positive reviews on Amazon compared to other calculus texts.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have it personally, but I do have his Precalculus review book and I like it a lot. It's well written, easy to follow and pretty much straight to the point.

Last edited:
This text is also used as the basis for MIT's 2006 version of Math 18.01 and 18.02. Please see ocw.mit.edu for details.

Wayne

I have the Simmons book in fact. The reason that led me to ask for others people opinios is that I saw some bad reviews about the book on amazon.com (although most of the reviews are positive), so perhaps someone who know this book and another good book on calculus could give an opinion of what is the best and why.

Search Calculus book - https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually looks like it has good reviews on Amazon. At least compared to other calculus texts.

What is "Calculus-Analytic-Geometry by George-Simmons"?

"Calculus-Analytic-Geometry by George-Simmons" is a highly acclaimed textbook that covers both calculus and analytic geometry in a comprehensive and accessible manner. It is often used as a primary text in college-level courses on these subjects.

Who is George Simmons?

George Simmons is the author of "Calculus-Analytic-Geometry". He was a professor of mathematics at Colorado College for over 30 years and has written several other textbooks on calculus and geometry.

What topics are covered in "Calculus-Analytic-Geometry by George-Simmons"?

The textbook covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, vectors, and curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space. It also includes a section on analytic geometry, which explores the relationship between algebraic equations and geometric shapes.

Is "Calculus-Analytic-Geometry by George-Simmons" suitable for beginners?

While the textbook is written in a clear and understandable manner, it is best suited for students who have a basic understanding of algebra and geometry. It is commonly used in college-level courses, but can also be a valuable resource for motivated high school students.

Are there any additional resources available to supplement "Calculus-Analytic-Geometry by George-Simmons"?

Yes, the textbook includes a companion website that offers additional practice problems, video tutorials, and interactive simulations. There are also many online resources and study guides available that are designed to accompany the textbook.