Are traditional calculus courses missing essential topics?

• Thread starter duke_nemmerle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the speaker is a math major who is transitioning to upper level math courses and feels that their community college calculus sequence may have left out important concepts. They plan to review series, vector analysis, Gaussian integral, and Liebniz's integral rule over the summer using the book Apostol. They are also looking for any other necessary or optional topics to study. They are recommended the book Elementary Analysis by Kenneth Ross for beginners and are told that cookie cutter calculus courses typically omit proofs and in-depth explanations.
duke_nemmerle
I'm a math major who is about to have his first brush with transition to upper math courses this coming fall. I took the calculus sequence at a local community college, and when I'm looking at some of the problems here or looking at syllabi of courses I will be taking someday, I get the impression that a lot of necessary things may have been left out of my courses.

I've picked up Apostol to look over this summer; hopefully that will bridge several of the more obvious gaps, particularly those involving any rigour.

Are there any essential things that you'd imagine may be skipped or glossed over in an essentially cookie cutter college calculus course? Some things that are on my checklist to learn over the summer are

A review of series
More vector analysis
Gaussian integral
Liebniz's integral rule

Is that last one usually covered in a traditional sequence or saved until later? I see it in the syllabus of my destination university's real analysis course.

I perpetually feel underprepared, even though I usually wind up doing very well; any additions to a list of necessities or even optional topics are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
a very good book for the begginner is Elementary analysis by Kenneth Ross. Its rather limited in scope (especially in comparison to the standard, Rudin) and only covers single variable topics. Its divided rather well too, 30 something short chapters that may each correspond to a single lecture. Its also a very inexpensive book at about 40$.

It is not so much special topics that are omitted from a cookie cutter calc course, but proofs and in depth explanations.

apostol will provide all you need.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is used to analyze and model complex systems, such as motion of objects, growth and decay, and optimization problems.

2. Why is it called "the missing pieces"?

Calculus is often referred to as "the missing pieces" because it fills in the gaps left by traditional mathematics, such as algebra and geometry. It allows us to solve problems that could not be solved using traditional methods.

3. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change, while integral calculus deals with the study of accumulation and area under curves.

4. How is Calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and predict the behavior of systems and to solve optimization problems. It is also used in designing buildings, bridges, and other structures.

5. Is Calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging for some people, but with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before learning Calculus. There are also many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups, to help with learning Calculus.