What Are Some Effective Problem Solving Books for Physics?

In summary, the person is looking for recommendations for a good problem solving book to improve their skills in physics. They mention purchasing "How to solve it" but are open to other suggestions. They also acknowledge that the best way to improve is through practice and suggest setting aside a few hours a day. They mention a book that provides examples and encourages studying them to see multiple ways of solving problems.
john16O
good problem solving books??...

I'm having some difficulty solving word problems in physics and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good problem solving book that they have read and were able to use to better their problem solving skills. I know i can build my problem solving skills through just doing practice problems but I'm trying to learn how to do them more efficiently. I just purchased "How to solve it" off of amazon, but i just want to see if there is any other book that would be beneficial towards problem solving skills...thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

I really think the only way to go about this is by DOING IT, even though you made it clear in your post you know this. I wasted a lot of time thinking about how i might do things and found the only way to get on was just to do em... few hours a day will get you into your stride if you have the time...

That said, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070257345/?tag=pfamazon01-20

is one way of looking at how problems can be solved and i suppose it's seeing examples that will give you the 'how'.. study them and look at the ways they've done them and see if you can see other ways or similar ones

I can understand the importance of having strong problem solving skills in physics. I have personally found "How to Solve It" by George Polya to be a great resource for improving problem solving skills. It provides a systematic approach to tackling problems and offers strategies for breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

Another book that I have found helpful is "The Art of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz. This book not only focuses on problem solving techniques, but also delves into the mindset and attitude needed to effectively approach and solve problems.

I would also recommend "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. While not specifically focused on problem solving, this book delves into the different ways our brain processes information and can help us understand our own thinking patterns and biases that may hinder our problem solving abilities.

Overall, I believe that practicing problem solving is important, but having a good problem solving book as a guide can greatly enhance your skills and efficiency. I hope these suggestions are helpful and wish you the best in improving your problem solving abilities.

1. What makes a good problem solving book?

A good problem solving book should have a clear and logical approach to solving problems, provide practical and applicable strategies, and include real-life examples to demonstrate the effectiveness of the methods.

2. How can I determine if a problem solving book is suitable for my needs?

You can read reviews from other readers, research the author's credentials and background, and look for a table of contents to see if the topics covered align with your specific needs.

3. Are there any specific problem solving techniques that are commonly mentioned in problem solving books?

Yes, some common techniques include brainstorming, root cause analysis, decision making models, and the scientific method. However, different books may focus on different techniques, so it's important to find one that aligns with your preferred approach.

4. Can problem solving books be applied to different areas or fields?

Yes, the principles and strategies discussed in problem solving books can be applied to various fields and industries. However, it's important to find a book that is relevant to your specific area of interest or expertise for the most effective and applicable guidance.

5. How can I use problem solving books to improve my problem solving skills?

To improve your problem solving skills, it's important to actively engage with the material in the book, practice the techniques and strategies discussed, and reflect on your problem solving process. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and applying the methods in real-life situations can also help enhance your problem solving abilities.